Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1992 11:04:47 EST
> This brings
> me to a question; if the ref is admitting that it was an obvious goal
> dislodge, shouldn't it have been a penalty shot rather than a minor???
> Anyway...
I think that I would definitely support a rule change to where an intentional
dislodging of the goal in the last say 5:00 of the game is  a penalty shot.
Perhaps, the rule enforced throughout the game, but that may result in
too many opportunities for a judgement call like that to determine outcome.  I
agree with Doug though, if the only thing to deter a team from doing that is a
minor penalty (maybe), then in most cases , in a situation like the Maine-NU
game was in, there is no reason not to do so.  It is better to give them a
power-play and try to rely on your special teams (especially with 7 seconds
left) than to allow the excellent scoring chance to develop..  Often, a team
will only get  a warning anyway.  If the rule doesn't allow for warnings, just
an automatic shot, I think it might be an imorovement.

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95