From:
Kevin Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 22:38:04 -0500
I am going to try to dispense with the sour grapes quickly here...I hate
having to rant so dang early in the season but oh well;)  SLU lost by one
goal to Miami on Fri. night which is fine, it is not a problem at
all...they both played well and the refs stayed out of it and all is
well...but come Sat. SLU loses again by one...is this a problem? Well
normally I would say no, but when it comes to refs deciding to determine a
winner, it sickens my stomach...I know that every year, without a doubt,
there will be 2 games that the refs simply decide and it drives me
wild...this is the first for this year...SLU scores a goal in the first 2
minutes of the game...waved off, kicked in...ok, whatever...acceptable...10
minutes into the first, Paul Difrancesco has to go off the ice for a good
many stitches due to a purportedly wicked high-stick...and not only is
nothing called on the play against Miami, but 12 minutes of penalties are
called against SLU...ok ok I will accept that...refs make mistakes...but
when you finally add in SLU scoring the tying goal with only 21 seconds
left and the ref against decides to step in and wave it off...purportedly
with no whistle every blown...due to a man in the crease...that puts me
other the edge...as I said, call it sour grapes...call it a fair
game...call it pathetic...but you all know that it happens to the team you
root for twice a year come hell or high water...it sucks...and this is why
I hate interleague games played away...

To end positively though, SLU, despite what everyone thought, played a hell
of a weekend of hockey...Miami was a great team and did not really should
not have needed the refs help to win, but hey...SLU will fight back and I
hope they really decide to take it out next weekend...

Kevin Todd
SLU '96
VLS '00