From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 12:46:28 -0400
Who's going to be the leading goalkeepers for HockeyEast next year?
This could be an important factor and may help decide whether
HockeyEast returns to its supremacy over ECAC foes. You've got to
hand it to the ECAC last year ... and I'd say they did it with defense.
Clearly, they had the most talented defenses in the nation ( as a
conference ). How will HockeyEast rebound this year? I think that
several teams are going to have much improved defensive units and the
goalie situations should add some needed help. Let me take a look at my
choice for the top goalies.

#1 - Michel Larocque, Boston University
   While all the other HockeyEast squads were turning in fair-to-dismal
defensive performances, BU was turning out a stellar display. The
junior-to-be Larocque got a lot of help out front but when the shots got
through, he handled them. I think he'll lead the league in stats and it'll likely
have a bit to do with the defensemen in front of him. I see backup senior
Noble getting decreased time this year ... and thats a shame because he
could start elsewhere.

#2 - Sean Matile, UNH
   Hopefully, UNH's defense will improve this year. If so, then this kid
should continue his great play. Larochelle is gone but newcomer Carney
out of Philips Exeter and BC High could challenge if given the chance.
However, starting job will go to Matile and barring a breakdown, he won't
yield it. Carney is an A1-rated goalie in my book. UNH probably has the
best goalie situation in HockeyEast because these kids have 3 and 4
years of play remaining.

#3 - Martin Fillion, Lowell
   Lowell has the least-decimated defensive crew in HockeyEast. The
senior Fillion should beat out the junior Fankhouser. With top-blueliners
Nicholishen and Libett returning, as well as much improved Cappelletti,
Bertram, Tormey and Stone, Lowell should be able to provide Fillion with
the needed support. This team could help Fillion get the needed stats to
possibly challenge Matile and Larocque.

Thats my top 3. There are several other promising but yet unproven
scenarios as I see it.

Scott Clemensen, Boston College.
   Or Correia, if he beats out the new kid. BC has some blue-chip
defensive recruits coming and Hemenway, Mottau and Buckley should
support the decimated defensive veterans. If York turns around this
team, it'll key on the defense. This could be York's best class seeing that
he's finally brought in some great defensive talent. Clearly, the talented
veteran forwards should help keep some of the pressure off. This
Clemensen kid could easily slide into a real sweet postion there on
Chestnut Hill.

Mark Kane, Providence
   Great streak last year for a debut. Real solid talent but has some
pressing challenges in the likes of Boyb Ballard out of Weyburn. The
junior Kane should win starting position and last year's
nearly-all-freshmen defense could have the experience to make a
difference. Team will really miss Gill though.

Alfie Michaud, Maine
    As much as I was impressed by Maine last year (and I was GREATLY
impressed),  I don't see him being all that steady. His gaa stats were real
good, but his save percentage indicated what I was looking for. Once
Maine's defense breaks down, they need a more steady keeper minding
the fort. Maybe last year's tumultuous undertaking were too much and
the kid will prove much more solid this year. If so, Michaud and Maine
easily have a great chance at putting him atop the league leaders. Libby
is gone, that will hurt.

Marc Robitaille, Northeastern
   Great goalie, really poor support. Now with Kayhko gone and
Schuwerk graduating, situation gets worse. Chances are Marc will have
another 4.00+ gaa next year.

That leaves Merrimack and Amherst. Merrimack has a strong recruit in
Tom Welby from Nipawin (SJHL), the second Merrimack goalie recruit in
two years from this team. (Three years ago Providence got Kane from
Nipawin). Welby will battle Classen (also from Nipawin) for the starting
role. Jakopin is gone, as is Infanger, but a good corps is left behind.
Amherst senior Brian Regan will  probably yield to sophomore DiLeo or
promising freshman recruit Marcus Helanen out of Finland. A strong
returning defensive crew with another promising recruit in the likes of
Matt Smith (6'5", 210) could propel any strong showing by an Amherst
goalie into league recognition.