From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T. Whelan
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:48:23 -0600
        Really late comments on this, since I just now finished
watching my tape of the broadcast.

        Interesting business in the second period: with the score tied
at 2, Team USA goalie Tim Thomas skated way out of the net (closer to
the blue line than the goal line) to play a puck, then collided with
Canada's Chris Clancy.  They called the Clancy for charging, even
though, as the replay showed, he held up and Thomas hit him.  The
Canadians were livid (as was Chris McClure announcing).  1:15 into the
power play, another Canadian raced Thomas to the puck in the corner,
lost, and checked him a moment after he got rid of the puck.  The ref
decided to let that one go, and Canada scored the go-ahead goal
shorthanded on the next rush up ice.

        Contrary to what people here were saying, the announcers at
least expected Canada to win easily, partly because they had greater
preparation.  I think that restricting the NCAA to American-born
players, while allowing the CIAU team to use non-seniors and players
with professional experience (which the NCAA team *can't* use) makes
the game not really comparison of NCAA vs CIAU, but it does provide
for a competative US-Canada game, which is what sells tickets.

        Personally, I'd like to see an annual game between the NCAA
and CIAU champions, even if it's only an exhibition at the start of
the next season.

Greg Berge says

>The TV commentators are good; especially the color guy.  And they've got a
>mike on the ref and he's a riot -- very "don't make me come down there".

        Is it just that they get miked more often, or do the CCHA refs
spend a lot of time scolding the players, relative to everyone else?
And they seem to be the only ones refusing to blow the whistle when
the puck is frozen against the boards.  Maybe it just seems that way
since I see them on TV more...
                                        John Whelan, Cornell '91
        <http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jtw16960/jshock.html>

Cornell Men's Ice Hockey: Back-to-back ECAC and Ivy League Champions