From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:52:18 -0500
On Mar 24,  0:07, Mike Machnik wrote:
>The American Hockey Coaches Association has announced its eight finalists
>for the 1996-97 Spencer Penrose Memorial Award as University Division Coach
>of the Year:
>
> [candidates deleted... though they're all deserving of the award, IMHO]
>
>The Eddie Jeremiah College Division Coach of the Year Award will also be
>presented, but I do not have a list of finalists for that.

Which reminds me that I wanted to ask longtime college hockey fans what they
know/remember about Eddie Jeremiah.  All I know about him is what I've been able
to glean from the _College Hockey Record Manual_, which shows that he coached at
Dartmouth for 26 seasons and amassed 300 wins, becoming one of the first (if not
*the* first) college coaches to reach that milestone.  He also won the Spenser
Penrose Coach of the Year award in 1951 (the first time it was awarded) and
1967... which brings up my *real* question about him.  Now I really hope this
doesn't come across as disrespectful, and I know win-loss records don't usually
tell the whole story, but I'm wondering how Jeremiah could have been picked for
the award in 1967, since Dartmouth went 4-16 that year (and 5-17-2 the year
before).

Just curious.  Apologies in advance for my ignorance of college hockey
history...

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"What are you writing?"
"It's my new self-help book for compulsive shoppers."
"What do *you* know about compulsive shoppers?"
"I know they buy a lot of books."
-- "Dilbert"