From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 22:30:16 -0400
At 7:26 PM -0700 3/16/97, John T. Whelan wrote:
> >At 5:17 PM -0400 3/16/97, Mike Machnik wrote:
> >> Still, as I said, I'd like to know why Miami is 3W ahead of Cornell (and
> >> presumably home team for their game).  That is my biggest and probably my
> >> only question.
>
> >Here it is.  I am told that the committee said that Miami got the edge in
> >the Miami-Cornell bracket because of the higher RPI.  In fact, Miami wins
> >the head-to-head comparison with Cornell, 3-2, and also has the higher RPI.
>
>         This probably also explains the rationale for sending Cornell
> West instead of Vermont.

I didn't bother going into this because I thought it was obvious.  Vermont
was ranked higher in the PWR.  The committee sent the bottom two teams from
each region (MSU listed in the East) to the opposite region.  Cornell did
not rank high enough.

>         But now it seems that the NC$$ has three different ways to
> compare two teams: number of comparisons won, head-to-head comparison
> and RPI.  It would be nice to know in advance which of these will be
> the deciding factor.

It depends on the situation.

* number of comparisons won
Used in ranking teams within a region (to determine who gets shipped out
and who is ranked where).

* head-to-head comparison and RPI
Used to decide higher seeds once brackets are set.

>         (Disclaimer: I'm certainly not complaining on Cornell's
> behalf, after the gift they got last year, but I'd like to feel that
> the seeding process is somewhat predetermined, and not made up as they
> go along.)

Fans may not know the process, but that doesn't mean the committee doesn't
know it.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****