From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg R. Berge
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:15:28 -0500
> >I know from the
> >justification for them getting a bye now.  They finished third in their
> >league (barely) and lost on home ice in the ECACs.  I think that will
weigh
> >heavily against them when the committee looks into the seedings.

1-3 seed flame-outs in recent conf QFs:

1997 ECAC #3 Vermont, ???
1996 ECAC #3 SLU, no NCAA bid
1996 WCHA #3 Denver, no bid
1995 ECAC #2 Brown, no bid
1995 HE #3 UNH, 3E
1994 WCHA #1 Colorado College, no bid
1992 ECAC #1 Harvard, no bid
1991 HE #1 BC, 3E

This does not tell the whole story, of course.  A deeper analysis would
include the teams' PWR, or before that RPICH, or before that poll ranking
at the end of the RS.  Sorry -- I don't have the technology (yet :-).

My wholly uninformed guess is that UVM is safe, though to be frank they
have done nothing to justify even a bid, let alone an East seed, since that
4-0 run that ended on November 2nd.

> either BU or UNH wins the HE tournament championship (even if they do not
> meet in the final), they will be rewarded with a bye in Worcester (E2 if
> Clarkson wins the ECAC, possibly E1 if Clarkson flames out, which I don't
> believe they will).  If they meet in the final, I predict that the loser
> will get the E3 seed over UVM, although that may mean conference >
matchups
> on Saturday in Worcester.

1/4 and 2/3 regional seeds from same conference, since Regionals began:
(and whether a reseed with same top 4 teams in region would have avoided
it)

1995 East 2-3 HE Maine-UNH (unavoidable - BU 1E)
1995 West 2-3 WCHA CC-Minnesota (unavoidable - Wisconsin 4W)
1994 West 1-4 CCHA Michigan-Lake State (avoidable if LSSU 3W)
1993 West 2-3 CCHA Michigan-Miami (unavoidable - LSSU 1W)
1992 East 1-4 HE Maine-BU (unavoidable - UNH 3E)