From:
David Morgenstern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 14:35:11 -0400
I am pretty sure that a previous post that mentioned scoring on a delayed
penalty shot was incorrect.  The assumption was that if a man was in the
box the goal counts and then you take the penalty shot.  The goal would
count, but the penalty shot would be wiped out.  The mistake here is
assuming that a penalty shot is just like a minor penalty.  It is not.  The
point of the penalty shot is to restore the lost scoring chance.  If the
guy scored on it, he doesn't get a chance for a bonus goal.

If a team is on the power play and gets awarded a penalty shot and they
score, the player in the box comes out and the teams return to even
strength (unless the shorthanded team had 2 people in the box, or 1 serving
a major).

The other issue is that if you don't score on the shot, you don't get a
power play after that.  I think I saw someone post that if they miss the
shot, a  man goes in the box, that isn't true (unless the player has been
assessed multiple penalties).  I think what must have happened in the game
that led to all this is that the ref was calling a delayed penalty for
something else, then the infraction that led to the penalty shot happened.
That is the only reason I know of that someone could be sent to the box
after a goal on a penalty shot.  It is also pretty rare to have a delayed
penalty shot, so the fact that the ref was calling a delayed penalty led me
to think he was calling something else.  In all the excitement, and
probably arguing, that went on after the penalty shot call, it wouldn't
surprise me if the rink announcer never got the proper info to the fans in
attendance.  I think that this shot was called for removing the goal
deliberately.  If that is the case then the whistle blows immediately (when
the ref sees the goal off the pegs) and there is no time for a delayed
call.

Now that I have said all this pretty confidently, I have to point out that
this only comes from watching and playing, and the NHL rulebook.  I am
still waiting for my NCAA book, so with that said.  If anyone has the NCAA
book, I would be happy to be corrected on any of the above points.  You
never know when one of these obscure situations can win you a beer.  Like
at the regionals maybe?

Dave