From:
Dave Garland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Garland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 20:46:23 -0800
  On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Karen/Greg Ambrose wrote:

> >Saturday was championship day for hockey in the state of Maine.
> >In class B, Winslow repeated as champions with a 6-2 win over
> >Falmouth, finishing the year with an incredible 23-1 record.
> >Their lone loss came in overtime to defending Class A champion
> >Waterville.
> >However, the Purple Panthers could not duplicate Winslow's
> >accomplishment as they fell to North Yarmouth Academy 3-1
> >at UMaine's Alfond Arena.
> >
> >NYA had lost to Waterville three times this season, including
> >two shutouts on December 20 (2-0) and February 5 (3-0).
> >Waterville opened the scoring at 2:51 of the first period
> >when senior captain James LaLiberty blasted Waterville's
> >first shot of the game past NYA junior goaltender Brian Gagne.
> >NYA's senior captain, Matt Greason, answered with a power
> >play goal of his own at 7:29.
> >In the second, NYA senior Chris Tanis, who lives in Bangor,
> >flicked a shot from the point off the crossbar and in, as
> >NYA took the lead for good.
> >The third period had some controversy, as Waterville's
> >Dean Carpenter appeared to score the tying goal at 4:28.
> >However, NYA sophomore defensemen Ben Yates had knocked
> >the net off before the puck went in, and the goal was
> >disallowed.  Already short-handed, NYA killed off 1:17
> >of a 5-3 Waterville power play which took any Waterville
> >momentum away.  Senior Jeff Mercier scored his 22nd goal
> >of the season at 7:32 to cement the state championship
> >for North Yarmouth Academy.  It marks the third title
> >for NYA since 1985, when Eric Weinrich led the Panthers.
> >Weinrich was an inspiration to the team this season,
> >
> >as an enterprising assistant coach pulled his old NYA jersey out
> >of mothballs and arranged for a letter from the Black Hawks'
> >defenseman to be read to the team prior to the playoffs.
> >NYA goalie Brian Gagne completed an amazing season, posting
> >a 16-3 record, with a 1.24 GAA and .933 save percentage.
> >
> >One piece of unsolicited advice for my old boss at Orono,
> >who was at the game for the first period:  instead of
> >Eric "I had the puck in the crease with an empty net and missed"
> >Nadeau, take James LaLiberty.  Far be it for me to recommend
> >Waterville players, but I am one-for-one in that department
> >(see: Jeff Libby).
> >
> >And since I promoted a Waterville player, I would be derelict
> >in my duties if I didn't mention that Matt Greason and Jeff
> >Mercier will both likely be taking a PG year and deserve
> >much attention from college coaches.
>
> Isn't this a COLLEGE hockey discussion list?  Or should I start talking
> about the Mass. Super 8 tournament?  I guess there is nothing else to do in
> Maine since the COLLEGE hockey season is over.
>
> Greg Ambrose
> GO UNH BLUE!!!

Hey Greg,

        I for one do not come from a back-ass woods state like New
Hampshire, which by the way has only one good about the whole damn state
and that is Adam Sandler and even his jokes get old, and I found it
interesting to hear about the Maine state championships.  Oh, by the way
when was the last time UNH was able to throw a fish on the ice in a NCAA
championship game?  If we at UMaine had such a redneck tradition we could
have done that it 1995 and 1993, now I know you cant say the same thing.
LOSER!!!

Dave
Go Black Bears!!!

 > HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey; send
information
to > [log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.