From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 09:53:47 -0900
Tami Kuhn wrote:

> There's been a lot of discussion regarding  ECAC Coach of the Year.  Any
> thoughts about CCHA Coach of the Year?  I have heard Mark Mazzoleni
> (Miami) mentioned.  IMHO, he's the choice but are there others?

For performance of one of the top CCHA teams, I'd have to go with Mark
Mazzoleni, although Red Berenson deserves credit for his coaching of a
very outstanding Michigan team.  For bringing a team together through
the worst of circumstances with the devastating injury to Erik Drygas
and helping them into the CCHA playoffs and surpassing preseason
expectations before even before that injury--the team was picked to
finish ninth by the coaches and dead last by the media--I'd go with
Alaska Fairbanks coach Dave Laurion.  Perhaps I'm biased, but I have
never felt as much fondness and pride for a Nanook hockey team.  For a
team that was 2-15 after December 13 and 0-10 at home to be where they
are now with a 14-20-1 overall record and 10-10-1 at home and headed to
the CCHA playoffs, I have to congratulate every one of them.  No matter
what happens in Ann Arbor in two weeks, we won't forget how hard they
worked and how far they've come.  The season from hell has had a
wonderful finish for us and we are really glad to have Erik Drygas back
home.

Eric Carlson
UAF Hockey Web Site
http://www2.polarnet.com/~jcarlson/uafhockey/index.html