From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 16:10:41 -0500
On Jan 5, 11:17, Jim Teresco wrote:
>Two Union players pinned Bois
>on the boards behind the net and some pushing and shoving followed.
>Bois was called for unsportsmanlike conduct but John Sicinski was
>called for hitting after the whistle for his retaliation.
>
>Since these penalties occurred after the whistle, both Andy Weise and
>I thought the teams would remain skating 5 on 5.  But in this case and
>in a few other matching penalties after the whistle, the teams skated
>4 on 4.  In fact, a good 6 or 7 minutes of the third was skated 4 on 4
>as referee Drew Taylor sent off pairs of players.  I thought the loss
>of manpower only would occur if the penalties occured before a
>whistle.

The rule book states something to the effect of "when ONE set of coincidental
penalties is called (i.e. one member of each team receives a single penalty),
and there are no other penalties on the clock, the teams will skate 4-on-4 with
no substitution."  Nowhere is it stipulated that those penalties must occur
before the whistle.  One set of matching penalties with nothing else on the
clock results in a 4-on-4.  Matching penalties under any other circumstances
(other penalties still on the clock, coincidental double-minors, etc.) do not
cause a reduction in the number of skaters.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"So what's Cornell's strategy now -- go to the net?"
-- Grady Whittenberg, Cornell (WQNY) play-by-play announcer, following the
   clean-up efforts after Providence goalie Dan Dennis got sick on the ice
   during the first round of the Syracuse Invitational