From:
Consultant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Consultant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 1996 14:41:30 EST
Mike Machnik remains a scholar with team insight and Susan appeared to echo
Mike's original post that RPI appeared much improved despite the absence of
senior leadership.

I watched, however, RPI @ Northeastern and found three things troubling
with the Troy team during Friday night's Boston performance.

First, everyone wearing red loved to join the offensive rush, including
both defensemen.  Unfortunately, back checking often suffered.  NU obtained
a few quality offensive odd man rushes and second chances as RPI forwards
failed to back check on the Olympic sized sheet of ice.

Second, play Laing more.  The Goaltender who played for RPI vs. NU (forgot
name) gave up major rebounds in critical second chance areas destined to
hurt if the back checking aversion continues.  Moreover, Laing seems to
possess a stronger glove hand and lapses less on long shots.

Finally, RPI forwards might realize that passing the puck on up ice rushes
in the neutral zone "is a good thing" (as the Antichrist Martha Stewart
would say).  Too many times a puck carrier held the puck into the offensive
zone only to pass when a defensemen took away a possible shooting angle or
quality passing situation.  More crisp passing might work effectively,
especially on bigger sheets of ice.

As for my early perceptions in the season.... I don't remember uttering
this in a few years, but I find the ECAC level of play superior this season
to Hockey East.

PS: Two extra Free tickets for Lowell @ NU for Thursday night.  9th Row
Center Ice behind Lowell bench.  E-mail me ASAP, so I will drop in Mailbox
today.  Annual trip to Army-Navy in Philly this year.

Another round of kudos to the midwest members who give tremendous overviews
of the programs we always seem to underrate until we see them hoisting the
trophy come Phinal Phour time.

        --John.

-------------
Original Text
From: Susan Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>, on 12/2/96 10:58 AM:
I saw this game the other night. It had good up and down action, with
RPI taking advantage of its chances. During this short season I have
been impressed with Sandy Cohen, and I was surprised that he and his
line was not seen more in the third period. Not that the other lines
were performing badly, but he has a spark to him that it seemed
Merrimack needed.

Any insight out there?

Susan from Boston