From:
Steven Bartley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 1996 10:29:36 -0500
Ref Shegos lost control of the game on Friday night and in a free for all
fight that started in the second period, a UM player was seriously injured
from breaking his neck by being hit from behind with a stick.

NO this did not happen.  However, the way that I've seen the last 3 games
refereed at Yost Ice Arena, it' s only a matter of time before some hockey
player gets seriously injured because the refs cannot control the game. All 3
games were poorly "reffed" to say the least.  For that matter, 2 players have
suffered broken bones already in one of the games I've seen.

Hockey is a rough game and many penalties do not get called.  I understand
that completely.  However, when some blatant cross-checking, boarding,
charging, tripping penalties are not called, players respond against the
other team much harder than normal.  You throw a stone, I throw a rock, you
throw a boulder, and so on.  You push me into the boards and get away with
it, I slam you headfirst into the boards in retaliation.

This has happened in all three games that I've watched so far.  If the refs
don't clean their acts up STARTING tonight, players are going to get hurt -
just ask Crozier from UM and Punchard from BGSU.  They should both be playing
hockey but because the refs can't control the game, they'll be sitting out
the next couple of months.

There has been a thread recently, as there is every year about "bad refs" and
that this one shucks and that one shucks.  When players start getting broken
bones, it's more than just the ref "shucks".  We're talking about potentially
dangerous accidents waiting to happen very shortly.

By the way, who invited Keyes from MSU to play hockey anyway.  If he wants to
cheap fight so much, why doesn't he play in a league that allows fighting.
 What's he hiding from in the CCHA?  Maybe he could not win a real fight???
 It's so much easier to punch players who are not returning your punches.
 What a man Keyes is!

Steve Bartley