From:
Joe Davison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Davison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 17:48:20 -0500
Martin St Louis and Eric Perrin were held in check over the weekend for a
couple of reasons. Foremost, I thought that they were looking for the
"perfect play" on every rush. The passes that normally find each others
sticks, or winger JC Ruid were slightly off, and seemingly split seconds
late in being delivered. They seemed to be pressing more and more as each
shift passed, though they did have numerous decent scoring opportunities.
The power play seemed to be the other problem, as both Union and RPI were
adept at preventing the pass from behind the net that the duo seems to
favor, and with the numerous penalties over the course of the weekend,
they saw lots of action, and I feel, tired themselves out somewhat <sure,
some one will say, a 20 year old KID tired playing hockey > but that was
my impression.

The other reason that they were held off the scoreboard may have been
simple let down. The team was ranked Number one, and coming  off four
pretty good wins. They were playing two teams that were projected to be
low in the standings. The problem Vermont may have this year is that every
game they play is "one of the biggest games of the season" for their
opponents. That is a position that the perennial powers have been in year
after year, and are used to that bulls eye painted on their jersey. It is
a feeling that Vermont will have to learn, and they must learn that every
game counts regardless of the opponent.

The coming weekend against Colgate and Cornell leaves me to think that
UVM, and Perrin, and St Louis will not be caught in a let down mode. The
hockey should be great fun to view, and wishing I could make the long ride
to Ithaca for the weekend. Unfortunately, the radio shall have to be my
companion, so any news posted on these games will be welcomed.