From:
"Lerch,Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lerch,Chris
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 14:02:33 PDT
John writes:

>Tonight in Rochester, STEVE SHIELDS led the Rochester Americans to a 2-1 win
>over the Portland Pirates to win the Calder Cup as the champions of the
>American Hockey League!!!!

>I don't care what Haeussler says, to me, he's still overrated and a stiff!!!
>Turco would kick his butt!!!

He sure looked that way last season and early in this season when he
 was a complete sieve. Rochester got a new goaltending coach and he
 apparently helped Steve out a lot. I saw him play quite a few times
 this year, and after his confidence kicked in, Shields was DA MAN.
 Made some of the best saves I've seen in an Amerks uniform since
 Darren Puppa.

>By the by, Hobey Holzinger was on the winners as well.

'Zinger got the game winner early in the 3rd period. He scored 12
 playoffs goals, and 11 of them were in the 3rd period or ot.  We won't
 see him again in Rochester. I hope some of the Bowling Green folks got
 to see some of this series somehow, if for the sole purpose of seeing
 Holzinger with a goatee during the playoffs. Made him look 10 years older.

Other college hockey stuff about the series:
- Dixon Ward  was named playoff MVP.
- John Blue was Shield's backup. Rob Stauber was also on the roster but
 didn't dress.
- Jay Mazur (Maine) was a key player for Portland. Mazur was cut by
 Rochester earlier in the season.
- Amerk's coach John Tortorella played for Maine in the late 70's and
 is still 3rd on their all-time penalty minute list. His brother Jim is
 head coach at D-III Colby college.

Check out http://www.rochesterdandc.com/sports/hockey/hk6165g.html for
 the story as well as links to pics of Shields, Zinger with a beard, etc etc.

With an AHL championship, a D-III runer up (RIT) and a New York State
 High School Championship, it was a great year for hockey in Rochester.

Chris Lerch
US College Hockey Magazine