From:
"Eric G. Hoffman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric G. Hoffman
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 21:45:21 GMT
Bill Fenwick wrote in part:

> The game started getting chippy at this point, and several times it looked
like
> referees Alex Dell and Mike Noeth were going to lose control of it.  Fortu-

This is an understatment. Dell and Noeth let a lot of high sticks, slashes
and behind the play/after the whistle extracurriculars go uncalled in both
games.  Hence the hitting became particularly nasty in the third period
of Friday night's game.

> nately, things didn't get totally out of hand, although Colgate co-captain
> Earl Cronan crumpled to the ice with under two minutes left and was down for
> quite a while.  I didn't see what happened, but I would suspect he was slammed
> into the boards.  He was eventually helped up and skated off the ice to the
> locker room under his own power, but he was bent over, holding his arm and
> clearly in pain.  He separated his left shoulder and would not see any more
> ice time for the rest of the weekend.

I was in Section H and saw the whole play.  Cronan was in the no-mans land
2 or 3 feet away from the boards and was checked pretty hard from behind
by a Cornell player (sorry in the rush I didn't see who it was) and lost
his footing simultaneously. Ala Travis Roy, he went head first into the
the top of the boards, fell to the ice and did not get up.  In a true
lack of sportsmanship, the students at that end proceeded to count him
out (ala boxing, forgive them they're mostly underclassmen) while I was telling
everyone around me that it wasn't funny because this guy was really hurt.
Thankfully, it turned out to be only a separated shoulder.

Aside, from this scary moment.  It was truly an awesome experience to see
Lynah and the team perform at this level again.  It reminded me a lot
of 1986 when we ended up winning the ECAC's in the Gahden.

Let's GO RED!!!

 Eric Hoffman                   |  "It was...an afternoon scraped out
 ES-333                         |   of the dog dish of meteorology..."
 Dept. of Atmospheric Science   |
 University at Albany           |   Tom Robbins describing an August
 State University of New York   |   day in Richmond, VA.
 1400 Washington Ave.           |

 Phone: (518) 442-4574          |   Cornell Alumnus, Class of 1988
 Fax: (518) 442-4494            |   Big Red Hockey, 1996 Ivy Champions
 E-mail: [log in to unmask]  |   "Let's Go RED!!!"

 World Wide Web: http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/eric/eric.html