From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 1991 11:46:00 CST
I'm so upset that I didn't make the list of the top 16 posters
to the Hockey-L list that I've decided to add my 2 cents to
the discussion generated by Brian F. and the NCAA revenue sharing.

First, my understanding of the NCAA tourney final 2+2 (I'm hoping
to have this copyrighted) is that the 4 participating teams are
given money to pay their travel and housing costs.  These costs
cover other official school representatives such as cheerleaders
and maybe even band travel costs.  I am quite sure this is the
case for the NCAA Basketball finals.  Does anyone know for sure
if this is true for hockey?  Anyway any remaining revenue from
the hockey tourney is very minor.  Even if the money were split
between the 45 Div. I members the money would amount to very little.

Second, I think that Brian has inadvertantly hit upon a crucial
problem concerning the governing of Div. I hockey.  He would like
to see all the schools agree on their own set of rules and secede
from the NCAA.  Oh, if only the 45 schools did agree on anything
other than we don't like the current rules.  I recall in Sept., 1990
when the rule changes concerning maximum number of games (dropping
from 38 to 34) and number of scholarships (from 20? to 18?) were
discussed in the local newspaper.  The WCHA commissioner wanted to
petition the NCAA to change these rules but he couldn't get enough
other schools to go along with him.  Of course, there is no reason
why the ECAC would oppose the change in the number of games since
they all play less than 34 anyway.  The ivy schools aren't going to
care about the number of scholarships since they don't offer any.

The point (at last) is that the hockey schools are about as diverse
as you can get.  Sometimes this diversity works against efforts to
present a unified front towards rules decided on by the NCAA.  The
other problem is that the rules for Div I hockey are decided at the
Div. I NCAA convention and hockey schools are a distinct minority there.

@ mark grassl				[log in to unmask]            @
@ Go Badgers!                                                           @
@ "Love ain't no train, more like a bronc'n bull." --- Michelle Shocked @