From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 14:19:34 -0500
Well, here we are again. Another season where it comes down to the
last weekend to see who makes the playoffs.

So, here's how it is:

8  RPI        12 pts
9  Princeton  11 pts
10 Dartmouth  10 pts
11 Union       9 pts
   Yale        9 pts

RPI has by no means clinched a playoff spot. They need two points to
do so. A win Friday night will do the job. It's a longshot, but
they certainly may not make the playoffs. I don't think that'll
happen, though.

Princeton is not as lucky. They MUST beat Union on Friday. That will
clinch them a tie for 10th place. They need help from Harvard & Brown
to get in. Should the Tigers win on Friday and Harvard beat Dartmouth,
they're in. Should Princeton lose, there are a number of scenarios
that need to happen in order for them to get in. Regardless, they'd
be in trouble.

Dartmouth is iffy, as well. They need help from Princeton or Yale.
Should either of those two beat Union, Dartmouth needs to get 2
points on the weekend against Harvard & Brown. That's tough to do,
even when at home. If Union sweeps, Dartmouth needs to, as well, seeing
that Union holds the tiebreaker edge.

Union? Well, a win on Friday will clinch a tie for 10th, at worst. A
loss puts them in real trouble, unless Yale also loses on Friday.
They would then need help from Harvard & Brown. Should Dartmouth
then win, Union goes home. If Dartmouth ties, Union still has a shot.
Best case for Friday would be if Union wins and both Dartmouth and
Yale lose. Then, a tie against Yale will clinch a playoff spot.

Yale is in the same boat as Union. A Friday win is huge. A Friday loss
results in a lot of trouble. A win on Friday clinches a tie for 10th,
at worst. Should they lose on Friday, Dartmouth & Union need to lose,
also. Yale would still have a chance, though, if that happened. They'd
need to beat Union on Saturday and Dartmouth to lose to Brown. So,
a Friday win puts them in the same situation as Union above.

Whew!!! And this is only the bottom half!

Well, if I've missed something or incorrectly reported something, feel
free to jump in.

Those are the chances as I see them right now.

I think it's really something to see the bottom of the ECAC battle it
out like this. Who says the ECAC isn't exciting???

Andy

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
+                                                                     +
+  Andy Weise           Let's Go Tech!                                +
+  SUNY Potsdam '93                     [log in to unmask]       +
+  Union College '95    Let's Go U!                                   +
+  Performance Systems International, Inc. (PSI)                      +
+  "If you think nobody cares you're alive, try missing a couple of   +
+   car payments."                                                    +