From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 11:43:34 -0500
Gerald wrote:
>As previously discussed, Munn requires no other team to
>help 'fill the place' so long as the home team Spartans are there.

That's true, but Michigan State will at most play two games at Munn in the
NCAA West Regional.  It doesn't look good on national television to have a
lot of empty seats in the arena, so it would be nice to put another team in
there who can keep people in the seats (regardless of whether the tickets
are bought and paid for).  The only other teams in this area that could do
that would be Michigan and Western Michigan because of the proximity, and
I think Michigan's ability to draw fans (both for and against) makes them
the more logical choice.  (Not saying that Western should automatically be
shifted East.)

>What I really wanted to address was the feeling that some people had that the
>close proximity of Munn Arena (East Lansing MI) to the Wolverine's Arena in
>Ann Arbor made for a virtual 'Home' Ice situation for the visiting
Wolverines.  Although the Arena is relatively close, Munn is the LAST place
>the Wolverine's would want to play a playoff game.

We do try to make it as inhospitable as possible for our "friends" from Ann
Arbor.

>Anyone familiar with the
>U-Michigan - Michigan State Rivalry (read: MSU hatred for Michigan),

I'm sure if the roles were reversed, MSU would not want to play at Yost.

Last time I checked, this was a two-way rivalry.  Wolverine fans have no love
lost for the Spartans.  "Holier-than-thou" doesn't cut it here.

>it wouldn't matter if Michigan was playing the Evil Satans from
>Hades U;  Munn would be filled with Spartans adorning red sweatshirts and
>chanting 'spear 'em with the fork, spear 'em with the fork.'

We'd probably come up with something a bit more involved, but you're right.
(It would have to be something not too complicated, otherwise the Slapshots
would never be able to say it.  They had to start the "Sieve" chant this year
because it was only one word that was easily memorized.  Good thing they
don't have to spell it.)

(BTW, we already consider Michigan to BE the Evil Satans from Hades U.  They'll
have to play someone else. :-))

>So in conclusion, I almost hope that Michigan 'gets' to play out east, in a
>more neutral environment, rather than play in every Wolverine's worst
>nightmare, Munn.  I can't think of a worse place of Michigan to play in.

Actually, I was sort of hoping that their worst place to play in would be
Taffy Abel this weekend, but that's wishful thinking on my part.  :-)

> Thus.. it's a longer drive to NY for us Michigan fans, but I think it'd be
>miles well spent.

It's not too bad of a drive, since NY raised their speed limit, but make sure
you take some caffeine for souther Ontario.  Lack of billboards makes it more
boring than those long stretches of the Ohio Turnpike.

The ulitmate goal is to get to Cincinnati.  If Michigan fans feel it would be
easier going through Albany than through East Lansing, more power to them.
(No, not really. :-))

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University 22-5-1, 26-8-1

Spartan defenseman Chris Smith will most likely miss next week's games vs. BG
(29 Feb) and Michigan (1 Mar) with a knee injury.  If junior defenseman Ryan
Fleming does not dress, MSU will go with only 5 defensemen.