From:
Bob Stagat <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Stagat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 1995 11:01:38 -0800
On Fri, 8 Dec 1995 13:14:40 "Sara M. Fagan" <[log in to unmask]> said:

>> From: IN%"[log in to unmask]"  "Bob Stagat"     8-DEC-1995 12:54
>>
>> But for all their lack of depth, they didn't do too shabbily. Their first
>> line -- Bobby Brinkworth, Jerry Knightly (both All-Americans, dubbed by
the
>> Troy Record as the "Gold Dust Twins"), and Pete Russell -- was the highest
>> scoring line in the nation. They upset an excellent BC team (3-2, I
believe,
>> with Brinkworth doing an amazing job of stick handling to single-handedly
>> kill off 1:30 of a 2:00 penalty) in the first round of the ECAC playoffs,
and
>> wound up accepting a bid to the NCAA playoffs in Denver (after St.
Lawrence
>> turned down a bid), where they beat Providence for the number 3 spot
(again,
>> if I remember correctly).
>>
>        Can anyone tell me why SLU turned down the bid?

Just checked my RPI yearbook and, in the ECAC playoffs that year, after
upsetting BC, RPI lost to SLU 1-3, then beat Clarkson 7-2 to gain the number
3 spot -- and a bid to the NCAA tourney. Providence and SLU finished in the
first two positions, but SLU was agonizing over the costs and the disruption
of their academic schedule if they sent their hockey team all the way out to
Denver to participate in the NCAAs. Their internal debate culminated in an
announcement prior to the ECAC playoffs that, although they would participate
in the ECAC tournament, if they were selected for the NCAA tournament, they
would not go. Consequently, both RPI and Clarkson knew that their ECAC
consolation game would determine who the second ECAC representative would be.
I remember that part distinctly because, at the final buzzer, Bobby
Brinkworth skated to center ice and scraped a big "D" into the ice,
signifying RPI's upcoming trip to Denver.