From:
MICHAEL BRESINA <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MICHAEL BRESINA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 1995 04:23:03 -0600
On Sat, 2 Dec 1995, Mike Machnik wrote:

> With BC leading 3-1 early in the second period and the teams skating 4x4, a
> delayed penalty was signaled against Lowell and BC goalie Greg Taylor
> headed to the bench for an extra attacker.  At the same time, BC D Greg
> Callahan tried to collect the puck in the neutral zone while heading in the
> direction of his net, and he lost control of the puck.  It slid down the
> ice towards the empty net, and although Callahan tried to reach it, he
> could not and wound up throwing his stick at the puck as it neared the net,
> to no avail.
>
> This could have been a penalty shot/optional minor, but as it was, the puck
> went in anyway.  It seemed to me that according to the rules, Callahan
> could still have been assessed a minor for throwing the stick, but this did
> not happen.

This raises an interesting question.  It is my understanding that, if a
delayed penalty is called against a penalty killer, the penalty
(if a minor) terminates AND the delayed penalty is nullified.
Does anyone know if two pending delayed penalties can be wiped out
by the same goal?  (I'm assuming that the stick-throwing was not called,
so the game would not have provided the answer.)

Cheers,

Mike

|   Michael Patrick Bresina   |     America's always had a problem     |
|  [log in to unmask]  |  with illegal aliens.  Ask any Indian. |
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see."   --  Trent Reznor