From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 09:36:54 -0400
John Forsyth writes:

>"Two faced"<--- (bold print)
>
>"In any other sport, (Maine) probably would have had the death penalty
>by now," Joubert said in the magazine's latest edition.  "Its almost
>a situation where they see how much they can try to get away with."
>
>----------------End quoted material----------------------------------

It is unfortunate that Mr. Joubert did say that as it is comments like this
that make me wonder why I bothered to gain so much respect for Boston
University over the Championship weekend.  I actually watched the tape,
watched BU win with class, and actually thought positively about Jack
Parker.  This comment is very unfortunate.

I assume that Mr. Joubert is "accusing" Maine of trying to lengthen out the
investigation.  That is not to their advantage, but since I am not Walter
Abbott or Shawn Walsh I cannot say for sure.  Assuming that the "goal" for
Maine is to get the greatest advantage possible out of this investigation,
they would have tried to make it as fast as possible, since if we all
remember correctly this was supposed to be a "rebuilding" year.  With the
recruits Maine has coming in, and the vast majority of their team coming
back, it would not be rational for Maine to "purposely" delay investigation
as I believe Joubert is accusing them of doing.

I echo the opinion of Mr. Forsyth that Boston University also best have
their books in order.  Maine bent the rules, no question about that.  Maine
will be penalized in some way for those actions.  That in no way means that
they will definately be put on probation, or that they will incure any
penalty that affects their play in any future year.  If you also remember
correctly, while I could not tell you anymore than "matter-of-factly" that
the NCAA told Maine they would NOT be put on probation at all anyways.

Regardless, many other teams than Boston University hold a "tainted" image
of Shawn Walsh and his Maine team.  Even not all Maine fans understand the
significance of what happened.  Let me take a moment to say something,
simply to answer some of the comments I've received over the year regarding
Maine hockey.

I've been a Maine hockey fan since I was a young child, and it cut me very
deeply to see what happened last year, and last year I was not a Maine
hockey fan, because it was quite difficult to believe after such a great
season.  What's done is done, Maine will get their penalty from the NCAA,
whether or not it is too harsh, or not just is not for us to decide, or even
Mr. Joubert for that matter.  I understand that it is difficult for other
fans at other schools to really relate to this.  Every other school in the
country dislikes Maine because of what has happened.  As a fan of college
hockey I recognize the significance and importantance of what happened and
feel that Maine should receive their penalty, but at the same time I can't
be expected to stop cheering for the team I grew up on.

---
Deron  [log in to unmask]
University of Maine 1995 National Runners-up
HOCKEY EAST, the top Class of the Nation

"Pro hockey isn't this much fun.  It can't be."
          -Chris Imes after Maine's 4-3 triple
           OT Win over Michigan in the 1995
           NCAA Semi-finals.
---