From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 1995 12:08:20 -0500

>And though they didn't make the playoffs - I wonder if Dartmouth would have
>won those last two games without the inspiration of trying for a playoff
>game.  On top of which, isn't it a disadvantage to the 7 and 8 teams to
>have to play a midweek contest to try to get in to a 2 of 3 the following
>weekend?

As far as the hockey team goes, yes it is a disadvantage. They could get
knocked off in the Tuesday game, and if they get past it, they will be
tired for Friday-Sunday, especially if they have to travel much. It also
creates an advantage for finishing in the top 2. Clarkson and Brown will
be facing teams who played on Tuesday, while Harvard and RPI will be facing
teams who have had the week off.

As far as the Athletic Departments' coffers go, it's an advantage to finish
7th as opposed to 6th because the 7th team gets a home gate. While I'm
money-grubbing :), how is the revenue from the conference tournaments
(the final fours/fives) distributed? The schools must get some of it, I assume.

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards        Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr Senators (25-24-3 56pts) (CJHL)
Carleton U., Law IV                   I don't give a damn about being liked,