From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 1995 00:02:20 -0500
Sean Pickett writes:
>Bob Norton stated that the Friars players did not like the
>pinstripe home uniforms and wanted to play in their black road uniforms.
>Paul Pooley apparently honored the players' request and asked Jerry York if
>Providence could wear their road uniforms and have BC wear white and Jerry
>said yes.

I recall that earlier this season when Merrimack made its first trip
to Providence, and the teams came out for warmups, Merrimack defenseman
Dan Hodge pointed to the Friar players and said, "Those are the best
uniforms in Hockey East."

I think that is the only glowing endorsement of the pinstripe uniforms
that I have heard. :-)  They haven't bothered me, but they are
certainly different and original.

>So, the questions are: Did Paul Pooley order the pinstrip home uniforms for
>Providence?  Will they be replaced next year?

That's a good question.  If the players definitely don't like them, it
will be interesting to see if their opinion plays a role.

On the subject of uniforms, I have heard that Merrimack will probably
make a significant change in its uniforms next season - what that will
be is unknown.  One possibility is that the Warrior may make a return
to the front of the jerseys.  It already appears on the front of the
goalie masks.  I can say that I am confident that Merrimack will not
return to the long pants they wore in the late 1980s. :-)

A side note that deals with new rink construction.  Many people know
that Merrimack is pursuing the construction of a new 6,000-seat arena
on campus, as part of a new student facility similar to what Clarkson
has.  This weekend, I became aware of a very strong rumor that very
recently, the school received an anonymous $5 million donation
earmarked for just such a new facility.

This has not been announced publicly, which is why I still call it a
rumor.  But after further discussion last night with my "source", it
seems quite believable.  This would go a LONG way towards meeting the
50% goal which interim president Richard Santagati would like to have
in place before construction begins.

In all probability, Merrimack would keep the current rink open for use
by high schools, youth hockey, and other rentals.  A new rink would
probably only be used by the Merrimack men, a Merrimack women's team
(which does not yet exist), and other long-term tenants like the
Boston Bruins and Hockey Night in Boston.