From:
"G. M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 1995 15:42:54 -0500
Andy Weise wrote:
>I have no problem with people having their opinions on who will win the
>ECAC regular season, tourney, etc. However, I think we should refrain
>from posting these opinions until they are warranted, i.e., when the
>season ends and before the tourney begins. I think this is why Mr.
>Finniss has his contest AFTER the season ends. I have my opinions on who
>will win the ECAC, but I also have my HOPES as to who will win the ECAC.

Actually, my reason for holding the Conference Tournament Contest after the
regular season ends and the NC$$ Tournament Contest after the conference
tournaments end is quite simple:  It laways helps to know what the seeds are
and thus have everybody sort of on the same page (spelling doesn't hurt
either) when you begin the contest.  I would have a helluva time keeping the
contest entries straight and keeping the job from becoming more of a night-
mare than it is if I started accepting entries before the seeds were set.  For
example, the 2-5 seeds in the CCHA and almost none of the seeds in the ECAC are
set yet.  I'd have predictions all over the place.  Invariably, I'd also get
the requests to let someone change their picks because they didn't know that
Team X was going to pull it out at the end and be the 3rd seed instead of the
5th (which in most tournaments puts you in the other half of the draw).

The CCHA presents its own problem with having to figure out where UAF will go
should they beat OSU on the seventh.

I usually try to follow the guidelines Wayne just posted (thanks for sort of
making me an exception!!).  I do not post individual predictions until after
the fact (the standings that I post usually won't indicate who picked what)
except for my own, and that's so people won't think I cheated when I win. :-)
I do try to post a consensus as to what the picks were, which I view as
similar to the HOCKEY-L POLL, but do not post individual picks.

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University 15-7-3, 20-10-3
WVU '87, UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?
Director- Contest Central