From:
"Lee P. Sveinson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee P. Sveinson
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 16:09:16 -0600
On Tue, 21 Feb 1995, Arthur Berman wrote:

> I have a comment on Landon Wilson, having seen him in the World Juniors.
> Ryan says he won't get the Hobey because of too many penalties, but he
> will make a great pro.  IMHO the criterion for the Hobey award should not
> include perceived or real pro potential.  The award is for the best
> college hockey player of the year.  Performances of prior seasons, while
> hard to ignore, are also at least theoretically irrelevant in an annual
> award.
>
> Wilson's penchant for taking unnecessary penalties was evident in the
> Juniors.  This liability would cause me to vote for someone else.  It is
> a major (no pun intended) problem on the college level.  You do your team
> no good in the penalty box or sitting out suspensions.
>
> I wish I could comment on Holzinger, but I've only seen him on TV once.
> I wonder why he was not on the Junior team.
>
> Arthur Berman  [log in to unmask]
> GO BU!!!

 Being a UND fan, I have followed Landon Wilsons career by watching play
at every home game.  I think that Landon sort of has a bad rap.  Yes, he
does take a stupid penalty every now and then, but what player is
perfect.  Landon is a true physical player, and that is how the whole UND
team plays.  Some may argue that his style of play has no place in the
WCHA, but the fans at UND like Landon and his style of play.  Obviously I
am a little biased, but I truely believe that most officials frown on
physical play, and that is where Landon's bad rap comes from.

I just wanted to put some input in from someone who has actually watched
Landon Wilson for more than just a couple of games.

Lee Sveinson
University Of North Dakota