From:
Indulis R Rutks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Indulis R Rutks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 1995 13:32:28 -0600
On Sat, 4 Feb 1995, Walter Olson wrote:

> MTU gained a tie in a rough and penalty filled game with
> Minnesota last night. I normally thought of Minnesota as some
> what of a classy team but last night broke that illusion.  They
> came in looking like a NHL loser of the mid-eighties: fighting,
> taking cheap shots, holding, picking, interfering, etc.  The
> result was obvious: each team took twenty of more penalties
> and each team had a DQ.

I wish this game would have been on TV, so that Gopher fans could offer
up a counterpoint to this. However, since I didn't listen to the radio
broadcast ( I was busy proposing to my girlfriend - hey, you gotta do
something when there's no hockey on the tube), all I have to go by is the
local newspapers.

> Before the 2nd period even started, Minnesota's Fiebelkorn and
> McHugh decided to take some cheap shots in the warmup skate
> laps. The result was a brouhaha and several penalties at the
> 0:00  mark.

From the Star-Tribune : "This one started when Gophers co-captain Justin
McHugh took issue with what he perceived to be the efforts of Tech
defenseman Jason Hanchuk to gouge the ice in front of the Minnesota goal."

> Then Minnesota's Dustin crosschecked Dave Dupont
> behind the play. Dave didn't take kindly to this added attention
> and responded. So did his teammates. At this point the refs
> DQed MTU's Jason Wright and Minnesota's Casey Hankinson for
> fighting. Both deserved the DQ as Hankinson started punching
> and Jason responded by dropping his gloves while Hankinson
> grabbed and stayed in close.

Star-Tribune : " Minnesota's Casey Hankinson and Tech's Jason Wright drew
fighting disqualifications, although the Gophers argued - with apparent
justification - that Hankinson never threw a punch... The Gophers also
complained that the original penalty that ignited the spark - a tripping
call against Pat Mikesch for tripping Minnesota goaltender Jeff Callinan
- was somehow forgotten. When the referees met to dole out infractions,
Mikesch was not among the guilty."

From the St. Paul Pioneer Press : "The Gophers lost freshman wing Casey
Hankinson for today's game because of a fighting penalty in which he did
not throw a punch. Tech's Jason Wright also was ejected, but at least he
got in a few licks."