From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 00:43:00 GMT
Mike, always the ideological purist, suggests it is time to end the Alaskan
exemption for the WCHA and CCHA teams.  Mark Sonner, 49th stater, pleads for
the right to continue exempting tournament games from the 34 game limit.  I, of
course, plead the case of muddied pragamatist.

While it is not fair that the CCHA and WCHA teams can exceed the 34 game limit
simply by playing their intra-league schedules, I would hope that any remedy
wouldn't result in a reduction in the number of inter-league games, especially
those involving Eastern teams.  This year in particular it is gratifying to see
the number of East/CCHA match-ups.  Even the WCHA, notorious for its
parochialism. has included a couple of Eastern NC match-ups, e.g. Union/UMD, and
the big tournaments like the Badger and Mariucci Classi usually include Eastern teamasn
teams.  My preference is of course more even more inter-league games, and a
decrease in the number of WCHA league games to set up more interesting regular
season match-ups.

However, if you eliminate the Alaskan Exemption, common sense tells me the CCHA
and WCHA are not going to shorten their league schedule, but will instead
eliminate 2 NC games, probably those with Eastern teams.  It seems ironic not
that the ECAC has finally expanded its season to allow some games with non-
conference opponents, there are none to be found.  I enjoy playing the HE teams
every year, but I'd relish seeing a LSSU, Michigan, or gasp! Wisconsin.  So, as
a pragmatist, I would vote to allow the Alaskan Exemption to continue, with the
condition that all CCHA and WCHA teams schedule at least four games against
Eastern opponents.  IMHO of course, without regard to practicality.
Brian Morris                        Go RPI!