From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 16:25:53 -0700
On Thu, 5 Jan 1995, Sean Pickett wrote:

> Jill Master wrote;
>
> >Alas, in these days of budget cuts, cost containment, and an aging (though
> >beautiful) facility, Penn cannot entertain thoughts of varsity status. It
> >would be nice to see, though.  I think we still have an old Brown banner
> >somewhere in the inner recesses of the Rink (*NO* it's not for sale).  :-)
>
> I thought that Penn built a new rink about the same time BU did in 1972.
> Yes, that would make it over twenty years old, but certainly not in the same
> catagory as Matthews Arena, dearly missed Lively Snively or Lynah Rink,
> among others.  The key is how well maitained the rink is by Penn.
>
> Also, as for Penn's DivI hockey years, the following information is from a
> posting by Mike Machnik to Hockey-L last year:
>
> In 1967-68, Pennsylvania joined the ECAC DivI
> In 1978-79, Pennsylvania left the ECAC DivI
>
> The following is from the ECAC Tournament Program:
>
> In 1970-71 Penn finished 7th and lost to Clarkson in the first round, 5-2.
> In 1971-72 Penn finished 4th, but lost to New Hampshire in the first round, 5-3.
> In 1972-73 Penn finished 5th and beat BU in the first round, 7-3.
>      Penn lost to BC in the semi, 5-3, and to Clarkosn in the consolation
> game, 4-0.
>

> Sean Pickett
> Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East Champions!

I remember the 1973 game when BU lost to Bob Crocker's Penn team.  That
game is the only game in my life when I did *not* root for BU, because
Crocker was Jack Kelley's long time assistant and he was passed over for
the coaching vacancy, a real shaft job as I recall even now.  It was
justice that a far superior BU team was beaten that day.

In fact, Kelley's replacement, I believe Leon Abbott (?) did not pan out
and Jack Parker was a mid season replacement.  If anyone with long
memories has the inside story on that I'd love to hear it.

Arthur Berman  [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!!