From:
Jim Baines <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Baines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 1995 22:30:29 EST
I was gonna call this post "A Maine Fan at RPI," since I wrote a similar
one last year called, "A Maine Fan at BU."  But since someone already
started posts on this subject, I figured I'd just follow-up with mine.

My reason for driving 6.5 hours from Bangor to Troy was my friend,
Ray Kim, a 1989 Syracuse grad and current grad student at RPI.  When he
informed me that my school was playing his, I had to be there.  I knew
someone was gonna get his nose rubbed it it!

I got media passes for myself (I provide reports for a radio station
west of Bangor), and despite Ray being a member of the RPI band, he has
to buy his tickets, since the band wasn't playing that weekend.  (I still
can't believe RPI makes its students PAY.  Doesn't that school take
enough of their money???)

Thursday, December 29:  Left Bangor 8:45am, arrived at Ray's spacious home
(HA!) in Cohoes around 3:30pm.  As much as I wanted to wear my UMaine garb,
I was media that night, and had to dress neutral (well, I still wore a
blue sweater).  That night, Ray and I formed a pact that we both root for
each others teams.  It would be a big disappointment if our two teams did
not meet the next night, so we had to pull for each other.

Game One observations:  The 1500 or so fans (not bad for two out-of-town
teams) were getting behind the underdog Miami Redskins.  Not suprising.
I met Heather Machnik, who sits to our left in front of the press box.
The RPI fans' usual "Go Red...Go White" chant was directed at Miami.
Maine's Blair Allison gave up a soft goal, prompting from one of those
RPI-horn blowers, "Hey man, I thought you were good!"  (Was that you,
Rich?)  Later in the first period, the P.A. announcer requested the
presence of the Maine bus driver, which prompted a "Warm Up The Bus!"
chant from some RPI fans.  First time I ever heard that one in the
first period!  Ray and I get a good laugh.  Maine fought back to a
5-3 victory, Tim Lovell got a hat trick, and fans applauded Maine's
efforts.  Shawn Walsh called this a "typical Maine game."  He's right.
Tim Lovell couldn't stop smiling in the locker room, but stayed cool.

Game Two: After sharing stories with us, Heather departs to the press
box.  Ray is confident of an RPI victory; I can't say the same.
I've seen Merrimack, and their record is a huge disguise of their
ability.  The seats fill up.  The usual RPI chants kicked in, but Ray
informed me they're not too hot that night, since the students are away.
Fans are pensive since Merrimack takes an early two-goal lead.
RPI scores, and I get my first taste of that HORN up in the rafters.
Not as loud as I thought, but it definintely announces its presence!
The fans seemed to be pensive in the first two periods, but relaxed
and cheered wildly as RPI skated away with the 7-4 victory.  Ray and
I applaud the RPI win, then begin our staredown.  I call in my report
from Ray's phone, and resolve that we're too tired to argue.  Save it
for the next day.

Friday, December 30: A change in plans.  The RPI band have enough people
show up to make a go of it, so Ray got to play.  Since I was with Ray,
I had to sit with the band.  A Maine fan with the RPI band.  Uh-oh.
We watch the end of the the consolation game, and I'm happy to see
fellow Hockey East team Merrimack pick up a victory.  Then the real
staredown begins.  Maine and RPI jokes are exchanged.  Then something
came over me.

I usually watch Maine's games from the press box, where cheering is
absolute no-no.  Not a word.  It's unprofessional.  You learn to
stifle your verbal wishes into an occasional silent fist-pump.  Well,
I wasn't in the press box tonight, and all those suppressed emotions
let go.  This time, I got caught up in it emotionally.  RPI went on
a breakaway and slapped one by Allison.  It happened again.  And again.
It happened at the same end where the band and I were.  That horn
seemed ten times louder than last night, and not just because I'm
sitting right under it.  (It really rubs salt into the wound!)  RPI
takes an early 3-0 lead.  Shut up, Ray.  Maine bounces back with two
at the other end, but RPI tacks another on for good measure.  It's
4-2 RPI after one.  Ray gives me hell.  I don't blame him.  During

During the first intermission, UM Sports Info Director assures me,
"Don't worry.  We're fine."  Sure enough, Maine scored three unanswered
goals right in front of us.  Ray finally shuts up.  I choose not to.
I find myself celebrating Maine's goals (albeit quietly, since I was
surrounded by red & white shirts).  The two teams trade goals in the
last few minutes of the second, Maine has a 6-5 lead.  Ray and I
consider settling our bet by tossing a coin, since the game as a coin-
toss in itself!  Matt agrees, "No kidding!  Get it over with!"

I admit I should have had more faith in my team.  Ray and I are very
nervous.  I haven't felt this nervous since the '93 NCAA semifinal
game vs. Michigan.  Like I said, all that pent-up emotion caught up
with me.  The RPI band screams for its team to get some offense going,
but the Engineers only manage one shot-on-goal in the third period.
Maine scores.  I smile, but my posture remains.  RPI gives up a very
soft shorthanded trickler in the last five minutes or so.  Many fans
start to leave.  I look up at the 8-5 score.  Now, I relax.  I make
verbal notes into my tape recorder.  Ray doesn't like them one bit.
The final buzzer sounds, and as a condition of our bet, Ray uses his
alto sax to play the Maine Stein Song.  Ray assures his bandmates that
he's only doing this because he has to.  He plays, with unpracticed
clunkers and all, the worst rendition I've ever heard.  It's music to
my ears.  The Black Bears collect their championship trophy and break
into their own rendition of the Stein Song right there on the ice.
Not much better, but still nice to hear.

In the interview session, Coach Walsh is suprisingly calm.  There was
no yelling and screaming at the players during the first intermission,
just a simple message of "don't panic."  Tim Lovell, tourney MVP, is
smiling bigger tonight.  Although he doesn't want to admit it, he lets
on that there was an element of revenge in the game since RPI won
Maine's Dexter Hockey Classic next year.  Lovell simply says everyone
on the team seems to get a turn to step up and take over, and this was
simply his turn.  Ray and I meet Mike Machnik, and compare notes.  I
needle Ray the rest of the way home, and call in my report.

December 31.  Ray settles up by buying me breakfast.  I depart the
capital region at 11:00 am.

I'm quite impressed with the fan support RPI gets.  For an area surrounded
with Division I hockey teams, the four thousand plus fans I saw are good
indication that the Albany/Troy area loves its Engineers.   I admit I'm
partial to rural campuses (campi?), but I liked the looks of RPI's
suburban campus.  I also liked the way the Houston Field House turns
the seating lights off during the game, and on during intermissions.
I also like the fact that RPI kills all the lights during the team
intros, and puts the spotlights on the players.  I noticed that the
goalies are introduced FIRST at RPI, rather than saved for last at
other schools.  Any other schools do this?

Kudos to RPI for putting on a good tourney.  And Mike, you can still
move up here if you want!
    |\  Jim Baines  WDME Sports                   GO           MM   MM
    |/  [log in to unmask]                    BLACK       M M M M
  \ |\  Bangor, Maine, U.S.A.                       BEARS      M  M  M
   \|/  University of Maine Class of 1989            !!!!!!!   M     M