From:
John Deetjen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Deetjen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 1994 22:11:17 EST
I don't think this is the best of ideas. I think playing an overtime period
is good for the game. The game should actually be decided in five-on-five
action, even if it may only be for a five minute overtime. I was actually
skeptical from the beginning about the shootout. I don't think we should
get rid of it just because Maine's only won one shootout in five, (I thought
we had the guns to win a few more shootouts than we did.) I believe that the
game should be decided through regular play. Remember World Cup soccer? I
know that could be considered comparing apples to oranges, but they were
looked down upon for not letting the teams deciding it in regular play, even
if it meant going through OT for a longer time. It's not fair that penalty
shots should decide a game. I think OT should remain, and let the SH stay.
As to having the SH next year, I would say, let's do it. One year is too
short a time to decide whether or not something is bad for a sport (the DH
rule started for baseball in 1973, and they still haven't put it to death
like they should).