From:
Doug Bodmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Bodmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 1994 07:11:19 EST
Well this has nothing to do with our hockey team, which has failed to wil a CCHA game this season, but I think that the same comparision could be extended to the OSU football team.  It is the only REAL good team in the columbus area, and there are no real other sports, except for cleveland and cinn.

Needless to say, the head coach goes 10-1-1 last year, and there is still a huge uproar for his resignation.  The city seems to expect that they will win the National football championship, and nothing less will be acceptable.  Probably a lot along the line of the RPI hockey team.  I can think of a basic formula for this fanatical attitude is:

        1. rural, or rather, non-urban
        2. small town
        3. one good year in the sport in question,
              a national championship or something close to it
        4. no other good sport to speak of in the area
    ****5. no professional sports in the area

5 is the big one.  How often do you see the people in Pittsburg still thinking the football team will win it all, after those good year in the early 80'

There are many other sports teams that it can think of that are the same way: NC state and Ball St in b-ball.   They follow the criteria (sp?). Any others?

Doug Bodmann
"Sex without love is an empty experience, but, as empty experiences go,
it's one of the best."
                        --Woody Allen