From:
Antony Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Antony Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 1994 13:09:17 -0500
From the Boston Sunday Globe:

At Bright Center, Cambridge, MA 12/3/94

         1  2  3
Brown    0  0  1 - 1
Harvard  1  2  1 - 4

Scoring:
First Period:
H, Joseph Craigen (Ashlin Halfnight, Peter McLaughlin) 10:11 PP

Second Period:
H, Steve Martins (Cory Gustafson, Geordie Hyland) 6:22 PP
H, Doug Sproule (Martins, Hyland) 13:53 PP

Third Period:
B, Scott Bradford (Brian Jardine, Damian Prescott) :35
H, Gustafson (Brad Konik, Michel Breistroff) 14:47

Saves:
B, Mike Parsons 23; H, Tripp Tracy 28

        "Last night was a big night at Harvard's Bright Center, and not
just because the Crimson's hockey game was being televised nationally by
ESPN2.
        "That was the frosting. The cake was a sweet 4-1 victory over No.
9 Brown, a high-powered team that sits atop the ECAC standings.
        "The victory also exacted a measure of revenge since Brown dumped
Harvard, 4-3, in the season opener.
        "'It was certainly a big win for us,' said Harvard coach Ronn
Tomassoni. 'We've been fumbling along [3-4-1 entering the game] and we
needed a win like this.'
        "Goalie Tripp Tracy earned first-star honors by making 28 saves,
many in a crowd. His stop on a breakaway by Brown's leading scorer, Ryan
Mulhern, just about iced the victory.
        "Harvard was on a power play when Mulhern got his stick on a
rolling puck at center ice and came steaming toward Tracy, who came out
to cut down the angle and smothered Mulhern's shot with his stick.
        "'He's our iron man,' said Tomassoni. 'When our defense let down,
he came up big with some important saves.  He really bailed us out.'
        "There were several other stops by Tracy, including three
point-blank missiles in the second period when Brown put on a furious attack.
        "That was only a prelude of bigger things to come.
        "Tracy was impregnable during a critical juncture in the third
period when the momentum could easily have shifted.  With nearly six
minutes to play and Harvard leading 3-1, he stopped five shots during a
1:16 span when Brown had a two-man advantage.
        "Tracy did not do it alone. Hobey Baker candidate Steve Martins,
winger Perry Cohagan and defenseman Peter McLaughlin poked the puck out of
the zone time and time again, frustrating the Bruins.
        "'That was an important shift,' said Tomassoni.  'When we held
Brown from scoring, it sort of broke their spirit.'
        "If holding Brown scoreless didn't break their spirit, Cory
Gustafson's goal certainly did.  It came seconds after Harvard got back
to full strength.
        "Gustafson took a pass from Michel Breistroff as he broke over
the blue line and skated in on Brown goalie Mike Parsons.  Gustafson
flipped the puck to the high lefthand corner as Parsons went sprawling.
        "'That seems to happen a lot,' said Tomassoni.  'You stop
somebody and you come back and get a goal right away.'
        "Gustafson's goal was the only Harvard score that didn't come on
a power play.  The three strikes are the most power-play scores for
Harvard this year.
        "Harvard's power play has worked much better against Brown (five
goals in thirteen chances) than against everyone else (4 of 40).
        "'We've been tinkering around with the power play all season,
moving players in and out,' said Tomassoni.  'I think we finally have it
clicking.'
        "Joseph Craigen put the Crimson on the board in the first period,
scoring in the final second of a power play at 10:11.
        "Martins put Harvard ahead 2-0, at 6:22 of the second period when
he wristed in a rebound from the right faceoff circle.
        "Doug Sproule made it 3-0 at 13:53 when he scored on a scramble
in front of the net.
        "Brown's only score came 35 seconds into the third period when
Scott Bradford poked in a rebound in a pileup in front of Tracy."