From:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 1994 09:56:08 -0500
.

> rel
>
> p.s.  The GLI has been sponsored for more than 27 years by MTU, and
>         in part by other universities.  Kinda like out tournament,
>         but we let UofM and MSU show up. :) :)

To kinda head off the MTU vs MICH debate I see coming! ;-)

Actually the turnament started like this:

 The tournament was born out of a conversation between the then General
manager of the Olympia Stadium, Lincoln Cavalieri, Michigan Tech's
legendary coach, John MacInnes, and detriot red wings scout Jack Patterson.
The three men were discussing the lack of American born players (gee
where have we heard that before!) in the National Hockey league and concluded
that a prestigious collegiate tournament could make the difference by promoting
interest in hockey among young atheletes as well as the general public.
Jack Tompkins, American Airlines Vice President, Former University of
Michigan goalie, and a member of the Detroit Redwings organization
championed their vision as well, and together in 1965, they founded the
Great Lakes Invitational Hockey Tournament.

The tournament began in Detroits Olympia Stadium. Michigan Tech, the host
of the tournament since its inception, added Michigan as a cohost in 1976
and moved to Joe Louis Arena in 1979.

Taken from MTU Huskie Hockey Yearbook.

Bob