From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 17:53:01 CST
Headline: A mirror image; U, Tech similar
Publish Date: 11/16/1994

Matthew Cross

Staff Reporter

When Michigan Tech arrives in Minneapolis for a pair of matinee games
at Mariucci Arena this weekend, it will be as if the Gophers are
looking in a mirror.

The two teams are nearly identical in their strengths and weaknesses,
but the 6-1-1 Gophers take both to the extreme.

The Gophers and Huskies are ranked first and second in penalty
minutes, penalty killing and power play statistics in the WCHA.

The Huskies, who lost a pair to Wisconsin last weekend, are singing
the ``Redemption Song'' after a dismal 13-27-5 last season.

``When you have the type of season we had last year,'' Huskies coach
Bob Mancini said, ``you can't wait to redeem yourself. This is a new
year and we have a new attitude. We put last season behind us in
April.''

Michigan Tech has launched a respectable beginning in their campaign
to come back with a 5-3-1 record. This includes a series sweep of
Northern Michigan two weeks ago.

``The whole team has contributed to our limited success,'' Mancini
said. ``Our upperclassman have developed nicely with a lot of work in
the off-season.''

Their good start has come from an extensive training program much
like the Gophers had over the summer.

Junior center Pat Mikesch, Michigan Tech's leading scorer, said their
training program has led to third-period success similar to that
which the Gophers have enjoyed.

The Huskies have outscored their opponents 14-8 in the third period,
and the Gophers have forced a 19-2 margin against their foes in the
third.

The biggest question for Michigan Tech was whether it could handle
the loss of goaltender Jamie Ram to graduation. Ram was among the top
goalies in the WCHA last season.

Enter sophomore Luciano Caravaggio.

Caravaggio has successfully stepped into the goaltending role and he
currently ranks third in the WCHA right behind the Gophers' Jeff
Callinan.

Caravaggio has a 2.98 goals- against average and a .898 save
percentage in nine games.

And like the Gophers, who have four rookies playing every game, the
Huskies are dependent on first-year players as well.

``We don't put any pressure on the freshman to produce,'' Mancini
said. ``That is the job of the seniors, so whenever they do produce,
it's an added bonus.''

Rookies Dave Dupont, who has eight points, and Jim Roy have provided
that added bonus for Michigan Tech.

Typically, the Huskies try to slow the pace, and it won't be any
different against the Gophers, who will try to run a speed game.

``We're a pretty boring team to watch,'' Mikesch said. ``There's
really no stand-out people on this team. Brent Peterson is probably
the closest person to a star that we have.''

Peterson, a senior wing who has nine points this season, creates an
interesting tandem with Mikesch.

As linemates, they compliment each other by assuming specific roles.
Mikesch is the passer and Peterson is the receiver.

``They are enjoying playing with each other,'' Mancini said. ``They
have complimentary styles and they work well.''

The contrast in tempo preference should be the most interesting
feature of the series as the Gophers try to push the pace and the
Huskies try to pull it back.

The winner of that contest will have a significant advantage
throughout the games.

The weekend series begins at 1:05 on Saturday afternoon and concludes
at 2:05 on Sunday.

Afternoon games were scheduled because Michigan Tech has finals next
week.

Mancini said that the schedule change might be the hidden key to the
series.

``We're hoping nobody told the Gophers that the games have been moved
to the afternoon,'' he said. ``We'll show up and they won't be
there.''

Pam Sweeney                             Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]       1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions
Go White Bear Lake Bears!!!        1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour
Skate to State!!!                       Ski-U-Mah!!!