From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 14:01:01 -0700
First a comment on the school's name.  I am involved in recruiting for RPI
under their recent agreement with the CA junior college system.  On one of
those college nites recently, not one person recognized the name
"Rensselaer" (let alone being able to spell it), but about half recognized
RPI (which used to be semi-confused with Rose Poly til they changed to
Rose-Hulman Institute).  So if those people on the campus have any touch
with the admin people, you might tell them that the people out in the
trenches see much more awareness to RPI than Rensselaer, and that also
goes for hockey recognition -- the few CAlifornians that now it exists,
recognize the name as a college hockey occasional power.  Years ago I
believe there was even a movement to change it to Rensselaer University
Yuck!!  Without the polytechnic, the nature of the academic programs is
not even obvious, so many liberal arts types flock to the desk, only to
leave in haste when you mention physics and chemistry and calculus!!  So
that is another vote for RPI I believe.

On the subject of HE vs ECAC, I, for one, believe they made the right
decision.  I feel better, as an alum, playing in a league with schools
that have good academic standards (not to slight the HE schools!! :-))...
while I love Div I hockey, I have been present for big NCAA penalties at U
of Ill in the late 60s involving huge slush funds, etc, and generally
believe Div I athletics has gotten out of hand.... that hockey still
remains with academics still in mind, I would hate to see that change, for
all the schools involved.  It is nice to see name recognition, and it
might even draw alumni dollars, but not at the expense of academics.  I
like to believe that RPI alums, while liking their team to win at the
national level, would rather support the school because of its academic
programs than its athletics -- a trait that is definitely not true at many
Div I athletic powers.

Tony Buffa
RPI '64, U of Ill '66, PhD '69

Professor of Physics