From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 1994 03:02:19 EDT
In reference to this rule which Jeff posted (thanks, Jeff), the
question that I had before dealt with why former UML D Kerry Angus
could have an extra year to play at UAH after playing 3 years for
Lowell, since the rule clearly states that you lose a year for each
year in which you competed while 20 or older.  We knew that Angus had
played a year of Tier II at age 20.

Here's the answer: although the rule does not specifically mention
divisions, in the column to the left in the Manual, only a "I" is
listed.  This column indicates to which division the rule applies -
for rules that apply to all divisions, for example, the notation is
"I/II/III".

Since the rule applies only to DivI, and there is no such rule listed
for DivII or III, Angus has a total of four years of eligibility in
DivII.  Playing at Lowell for 3 yrs caused him to have one left in
DivII (or DivIII).  And since he was transferring down from DivI, he
was eligible to play right away.  Ironically, if he had transferred to
UAH just a couple of years ago, he would have had to sit a year since
UAH had declared as DivI then.  Of course, he probably would have gone
elsewhere in that case.

Tim Newman explained the reasoning before, but now I understand why
the confusion arose.
<<<<< Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors (station TBA for 94-95) >>>>>