From:
"Arthur C. Mintz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur C. Mintz
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 1994 12:27:45 -0400
Charles H. Moore, a former Cornell University gold medal Olympian, was
named Cornell's director of athletics and physical education today.

Moore, a Cornell alumnus (class of 1951) with a distinguished record in
international business, is vice chairman of Advisory Capital Partners Inc.
and chairman of X-pander Inc. His new position is effective Nov. 28.

"Charlie Moore has an outstanding background to bring to Cornell as
director of Athletics and physical education at this time," said James E.
Morley Jr., Cornell senior vice-president. "His personal dedication to
Cornell athletics and his involvement with such organizations as the United
States Olympic Committee speak to his understanding of all aspects of
collegiate athletics. He brings an established record of business success
and a long association with Cornell through his current membertship on the
executive committee of the Cornell Track Association, the Athletics
Campaign Committee and the Cornell University Council. I am delighted that
he will be returning to his alma mater in this leadership role."

Moore said: "Cornell is fortunate to have a tradition of great athletic
leadership. I will do my level best to uphold and expand on that tradition.
Bob Kane, a significant figure in my own Cornell career, as well as a
former athletic director of this university, commended Cornell for its
'absence of compromise in always trying to do the best that we could do.' I
pledge to continue that spirit."

--currently chairman of the Audit Committee of the U.S. Olympic Committee
--chosen athlete of the decade for the 1950's by the Cornell Daily Sun
--finished second in the Sullivan Award balloting in 1952 (top amateur
athlete in the nation)
--charter member of the Cornell Athletic Hall of Fame (1978)
--gold medal in 400-meter hurdles (set Olympic record) and silver medal in
1600-meter relay in 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki, Finland
--65 years old
--member of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews in Scotland
(among others)
--director of several corporations
--former president, CEO and governor or The National Art Museum of Sport
--member of the Advisory Board of the Anglican Observer at the United Nations
--member of the U.S. International Sports Committee
--recipient of the Herbert Adams Memorial Award for the Advancement of
American Sculpture

(adapted from Cornell University News press release)

Arthur C. Mintz          [log in to unmask]          (607) 255-1487
Senior Project Leader
Cornell Information Technologies / Information Resources

"Never confuse motion with progress."