From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 1994 17:48:07 CDT
Sean Pickett writes:
> [log in to unmask] (James Endress) wrote:
>

> >1. If two great Western players are are for it and one
> >very good Eastern  player then the eastern player will
> >win because the western votes are split.

yes, but often there are really only a couple of top candidates.

> First, there are ten finalists for the Hobey, so this argument
> does not work.  Second, I would like to believe that the voters
> for the Hobey are not so East vs West (or league vs league),
> and that they vote for the best college player, regardless of
> where the school is located.
>
> Also, in the 14 year history of the award the 2 western
> conferences have 8 winners to 6 for the 2 eastern conferences.

That's not really his point, though.  It could just as easily be the other way
around.  It's still a matter of only knowing some of the candidates.  If there's
a really good player at any school in the WCHA, (for example, insert your own
conference here) I'm more likely to say, "Wow he's really good, I'll vote for
him for Hobey" than I am to vote for the guy in the ECAC (again, insert name of
conference you don't see often) whom I've only heard other people's impressions
of.  If there are two top candidates who've been seen a lot by the same people,
their votes are more likely to be split.  So, I think this may be a valid point.

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]      1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
                                  1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour!!!
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!