From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 1994 14:23:07 EDT
Its great to talk hockey in this 40 degree weather in Buffalo,NY.

Can't hit golf balls - might as well get on hockey 3 and clear up
a few things.  By the way I did'nt "CC:" this to hockey-l -
maybe Wayne can determine whether its appropriate for the larger
viewing group.

Reagrding our schedule - the Canisius College Ice Griffs:
I've read Scott Biggar's post
I've read Chris Lerch post - thanks Chris you were on the mark !!
lso I've read Dr. Roth's comments.  Now here's mine ----

Scheduling is the most difficult part of my job here.  Recruiting
is the most time consuming but scheduling is very, very frustrating.
Those of us "privates" are a bit envious of the SUNY's because
they have 8 teams and a 14 game schedule and standings,MVP,
all stars, coach of the year, etc - and a great playoff format.
They only have to fit in 11 games to fill a 25 game schedule.
If they get in on or two tournaments - thats 2-4 more games
and now they can pick and choose the last 7 games to fill.
A great set up for them.

At a meeting two years ago of A.D.'s from SUNY and the privates
it was proposed (and verbally committed to) that a "scheduling"
arrangement would be put into place that would have each SUNY
play the privates - one time - alternate home and away.
Scott, you referred to this.  The SUNY's (after agreeing)
backed out because there was, is and continues to be existing
philosophical, personal and petty conflicts among some of these
schools.  What resulted is this "barnstorming" for games - and
the success of accomplishing a schedule really depends on
how good a "working relationship" you as coach (or your A.D.)
has with the other school.  You beg for games !!!  There IS
NO SCHEDULING AGREEMENT between SUNY and ECAC WEST.  Other
than a "gentleman's" agreement - NO FORMAL WRITTEN DOCUMENT
was put on paper.  You can see where the gentleman's
agreement went.  To say the least it makes our scheduling
tougher each year - and frustrating as hell for me.

This year's schedule does not have a few schools as mentioned.
Plattsburgh was supposed to come to Buffalo to play us - they
owed us a game here - we went up there last year.  In fact,
we played POTSDAM on Friday (while Plattsburgh rested - they
were supposed to play McGill but it was postponed) and then
we traveled on to face the rested Cardinals on Saturday.
Then bus home the 7 hours after the Sat nite game - it is
a tough trip.
Anyway - we had a date for this year. Coach Emery dropped
me a "note" to cancel the game in March. He could'nt
find another team in this area to play.  Mercyhurst was
available that same weekend but he did'nt want to play
us both away on that same weekend.  Let's leave this
topic now before I flame up.

Oswego dropped us 2 games last year in June to fit
Buffalo St. on there schedule.  They wanted us back
this coming year - at their rink - with no promise
to return to Buffalo to play us at "our" home.
Why ???  Coach does'nt know if they can "afford it".

Geneseo - after playing against each other for the
last 20 years - can't find room on their schedule.
They are at their 25 game limit.

Now I ask you, when you evaluate a team's schedule
in ECAC WEST take do you realize that only 8 games
are part of mandated league play ???  This may
change.
I suggested we play 4 times against each other - other
members felt it was too much - it looks like we will
play (in 1995-96) 3 times against each other.
I think we schedule so many games WITHIN the private
sector (R.I.T., ELMIRA, Hobart, Canisius, Mercyhurst)
that we have no room left for games with SUNY.

The problem with this is that R.I.T. and ELMIRA play
those SUNY schools to bulk up on their D-III games
(and wins). Its the means for them to get a bid to the
NC$$ III championship. Hey, I understand that.
Afterall, they are D-III , we are not.
BUT - There comes a time when schools who are somewhat
alike - lets put it this way - more alike than different-
if we are all private, ECAC WEST - "in the same conference"
THEN we need to stick together and do what's best for
our group and NOT be dictated to by SUNY.

When schools drop us because we are too good to play -
and because when you come to Buffalo - play at Nichols -
and play against a team that is coached by me.  Well,
we will be prepared to give you a contest - we are not
a "rollover" team.  Some of our opponents are afraid
of that and if they DONT have too they won't keep
that COMMITTMENT.  Now, if our team becomes weak
then those same coaches will call - and be your
friend - and want to play a game.  That's what I
as a coach have seen the last 14 seasons.  Sports
does'nt build character it reveals it.

Brian Cavanaugh
Canisius College
Head Coach

P.S.  I am not related to Michael - but I have met him.
      Please - he seems like a good young coach - give him
      a chance.