From:
"John R. Nash" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John R. Nash
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 1994 17:40:19 -0600
        Others have correctly passed on the correct wording of the "Hey
<name>, you're not a goalie, you're a sieve!..."  cheer.  If I'm not
mistaken, that cheer originally hails from Bright Arena at Harvard -- it
certainly goes back a loooong way there, and I've been told by at least one
member of another school's band (RPI, I think) that "we stole it from you
guys..."   Now that I'm at Wisconsin, I notice that only a small number of
people know the cheer and yell it out (of course, with Saturday season tix,
I haven't seen a whole lot of good opportunities to use it, since the
Badgers haven't been that sharp on the second night of home stands...).   A
huge arena like the Great Dane is great when everyone cheers, but having
the entire Bright Arena yell the black hole cheer in unison is
psychologically if not acoustically louder, from the goalie's point of
view.

        And oh yes, the Harvard administration has tried to crack down on
"inappropriate" cheers by the band and crowd.  When I was there ('87-'91),
"suck" was a four-letter word, but we sometimes forgot that. :-)  Banners
would often get confiscated and certain cheers were strictly "back of the
band" cheers, done without the express consent of the band staff.  Of
course, they were usually the funniest...

        "Bright" college years....

-===-John R. [log in to unmask] Chem. Dept-===-