Sender:
From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1993 08:05:08 EDT
I hope that at least a few of us realize that most of our NCAA bashing
is just that ...  bashing, as in attacking and abusing.  It's pretty
easy to do that because

  - We see actions and decisions without knowledge of the entire
    situation.

  - Rules are developed for a few abnormal situations, but applied
    everywhere in the interest of fairness.

  - There is no one in this group able to speak about the facts leading
    to specific rules and cases.

  - There is no one in this group able to speak for the NCAA.

Perhaps some of us could take an item discussed on HOCKEY-L that is
particularly troubling or otherwise of interest, and then call or write
to the NCAA and get an "official", or at least more knowledgeable voice
in some of the things we have been hearing.

I'm convinced it's possible to bludgeon anyone and any organization that
does or tries to do ANYTHING, without regard to truth or merit.  I hope
some of us might dig a little deeper to report a bit more of the story.

For my part, I'll try to write a story this summer on what I can learn
about my local areas' perspective of the NCAA and its operation.  I'll
chat with acquaintances that are NCAA compliance and accreditation
officers and write a few letters to school administrators.

I like playing reporter now and again.  HOW ABOUT YOU?

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]