Jeff Christiansen <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 31 Aug 2016 14:51:19 +0000
Pam
I imagine you will receive many responses to your policy request and that there are many policies out there. I also suspect some will specifically address what us allowed to acknowledge a benefactor.
My only 2-cents is: come up with a policy and have your library board (or whatever governing there is for WPL) and have them approve it. It's a pretty good bet you will need/want  their support if you refuse kind offer of a "pro-life" brick.
Jeff Christiansen, MLISGorham ME

      From: Pamela Dunning <[log in to unmask]>
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:59 AM
 Subject: [MELIBS-L] policy request

Good morning.

I am in need of a policy that would cover the Library refusing to post
political or religious materials. The practice here has always been to post
notices for non-profits programs only. We have never had a written policy as
handling a bulletin board didn't seem to call for one.

Recently, the Library began a fundraising project where patrons can buy and
engraved brick and have it placed in a patio on the property here. A patron
came in yesterday to purchase a brick with "Choose Life", the anti-abortion
slogan on it. This is an obvious political agenda and could be a problem. I
can already imagine the answering bricks that could arise. Our patio could
become an argument in action.

Suggestions are not only welcome but actively solicited here.

Best wishes, Pam

Pam Dunning, Director

Wiscasset Public Library