From:
Janet Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2013 11:34:58 -0500
Since our library is much busier in the summer, and many of our volunteers
are summer people, we try to do something for volunteer appreciation in late
summer.  Last year we had an ice cream social.  (Giffords Ice Cream was very
generous to donate two large tubs of ice cream!)  We generally give out some
small token of appreciation.  This year we gave out calendars with the
library's name on them.  For next year we have ordered pens.

Our policy manual has a very short section on volunteers which basically
says that they shall not be offered cash bonuses, and they may be sent
letters of commendation, be honored at a luncheon, and/or given a plaque or
other gift in recognition of their service.

Our training is pretty informal.  We basically train as we go in whatever
job we have for them to do whether it is shelving books, looking for lost
books, working with the children's programs, etc.

Hope this helps,

Janet Wilson
Rangeley Public Library