From:
Nancy Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2013 09:28:37 -0500
Our technology coordinator sent out a message about using the Google
Research skills lessons for "learning how to research".
 http://www.google.com/insidesearch/searcheducation/lessons.html

Because I teach how to research, I felt I had to add the following message
to reinforce my librarian role. Feel free to borrow and adapt the message.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

Well done search strategies. Thanks, Lynn, for reminding staff about this
resource.

These lessons start at the third stage of Research. In 7th and 8th grade
Library/English lessons we cover the full range of research skills. It is
important for you to know about the third stage search skills and to
reinforce them with your students.

The first two stages of research involve (1) developing the research
overview, including a essential question to research, and (2) developing a
set of knowledge/comprehension questions based on the essential question.
This set of questions are used to provide key words and to focus the
research.

Some of the credibility checks noted in the last Google lesson need to come
at the very beginning of the search, to avoid spending time on unreliable
sources.  These include checking the web address, researching the
author(s), starting your search with a reliable source  to gain appropriate
background knowledge (World Book is online from the library),  and some
understanding of the different formats used for presenting information
(blog = any individual, magazine = articles chosen for specific audience,
encyclopedia = usually vetted authors).

Maine has the databases referred to in Google Scholar: MARVEL! It is linked
from the school library page:
https://sites.google.com/a/msad41.us/msad41/media-center

--
Nancy B. Grant