From:
Nicole Rancourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nicole Rancourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2021 17:13:16 +0000
Join host and facilitator Anisa Khadraoui this summer for rich discussion of two compelling books examining the significant influence that race and history can have on a person's decisions, desires and expectations.

Brit Bennett’s stunning novel, The Vanishing Half, is about twin sisters, inseparable as children, who ultimately choose to live in two very different worlds with different identities, one black and one white. It is at once a riveting, emotional family story and a brilliant exploration of the American history of passing.

Jason Reynolds' and Ibram X. Kendi's Stamped: Racism, Antiracism and You. “This is NOT a history book. This is a book about the here and now. A book to help us better understand why we are where we are. A book about race.” We will examine this book from a literary perspective and take a deep dive into ourselves and this history book that isn't.

Location: On-line

DATES: July 29 / August 12 / August 26

TIME: 5:30-7pm

Space is limited; pre-registration is required. The group is free, all readings provided.

TO REGISTER: please email your first and last name, email address, and mailing address to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> .

*PLEASE USE THE SUBJECT LINE “DEEP DIVE” in your email. We will send you a confirmation.

~Nicole

Nicole Rancourt (she/her)
Program Manager

Maine Humanities Council<https://mainehumanities.org/>

674 Brighton Ave. | Portland, ME | (207) 773-5051
- Home of the Harriet P. Henry Center for the Book -