From:
Libby Bischof <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Libby Bischof <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2021 10:17:19 -0400
Dear Maine Library Friends,

The Osher Map Library and Smith Center for Cartographic Education (OML) at
the University of Southern Maine is delighted to announce the launch
of *"Maine's
Bird's Eye Views, 1870-1905,"* a collaborative visual database and digital
research tool that brings together, for the first time, the known Bird's
Eye View maps of Maine cities and towns created between 1870-1905.

*You can visit the new site, which went live last night, here
<https://digitalcommons.usm.maine.edu/oml-maine-birds-eye-view-exhibit/>.*

As part of a Maine Bicentennial Commission grant (administered via the
Maine Arts Commission), the OML partnered with the Maine Historic
Preservation Commission (MHPC) and the Maine Historical Society (MHS) to
digitize all extant Maine Bird's Eye View maps in our respective
collections.  Earle G. Shettleworth, Jr., the Maine State Historian,
conducted the inventory, newspaper research, and wrote a series of short
essays for the project. We would also like to thank the Leventhal Map and
Education Center (Boston Public Library), the Library of Congress
(Washington, D.C.) and the Brick Store Museum (Kennebunk) for additional
image assistance.

The site consists of an exhibition catalogue
<https://digitalcommons.usm.maine.edu/oml-maine-birds-eye-view-catalogue/> with
relevant short essays on the history of Maine (1870-1905), the history of
Maine's Bird's Eye views, and short biographical sketches of Bird's Eye
view artists working in Maine at the turn-of-the-century, as well as a
fully searchable Map Gallery
<https://digitalcommons.usm.maine.edu/oml-maine-birds-eye-view-maps/> featuring
digitized hi-res images of these town and city views spanning the length
and breadth of the state, as well as rich contextual data. We hope viewers
and users will take great pleasure in visiting towns and cities around the
state as they looked well over a century ago. In addition to being
beautifully rendered prints, these views provide an unparalleled window
into the built environment of Maine in this era, especially changing
industries and land usage, as well as the residential, retail, civic, and
transportation infrastructures of nearly 100 cities and towns scattered
throughout the length and breadth of Maine--coastal and interior, northern
and southern, rural and industrial. We hope viewers will take a moment to
reflect upon the histories these views make visible, as well as the
histories they overlook or obscure.

This site was built by USM Libraries Digital Commons and Digital Projects
and OML staff members Jessica Hovey and Louis Miller. Maps from the Osher
Map Library and Smith Center for Cartographic Education collections were
digitized over the years by David Neikirk and Adinah Barnett, OML's Digital
Imaging team; maps from MHPC and MHS collections were digitized by Adinah
Barnett for this project. OML's summer 2019 intern, USM History major Aidan
Haggerty, completed the initial inventory of Maine's Bird's Eye Views. The
project was overseen by Libby Bischof, Executive Director of the OML.
Special thanks to Kirk Mohney of the Maine Historic Preservation Commission
and Jamie Rice of the Maine Historical Society for their willingness to
engage in this collaborative work.

Please feel free to share this new resource with anyone who might be
interested.

Warmly,

Libby Bischof, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Osher Map Library and Smith Center for Cartographic
Education

*P.S. If you are aware of a Bird's Eye View map of a Maine city, town, or
event, made between 1870 and 1905, that is not yet included in this
database, we would love to know about it! **Please email our Cartographic
Reference and Teaching Librarian, Louis Miller ([log in to unmask]
<[log in to unmask]>), with information about the view, and we will
endeavor to aid in the digitization of the item (if needed) and add it to
the database.*

Libby Bischof, Ph.D.
Executive Director, Osher Map Library and Smith Center for Cartographic
Education
Professor of History
Office: 113 Glickman Library, Portland Campus (inside the Osher Map Library)
Office Phone: 207-780-4281
Email: [log in to unmask]
Pronouns: she/her/hers
http://www.oshermaps.org

*Confidentiality Notice:  The material transmitted herein is intended only
for the use of the addressee and may contain information that constitutes
work product or is confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law.  Distribution or copying of this communication or reliance upon its
contents by unauthorized participants is strictly prohibited.  If you have
telephone or e-mail.*