From:
Wynter Giddings <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wynter Giddings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 2021 14:50:01 -0500
Greetings!
The Maine Library Association is pleased to announce that our annual
conference will happen VIRTUALLY on *Monday, May 24 and Tuesday, May 25th.*

This year's conference theme is *Orienting Ourselves in the Next Normal*.
We are seeking proposals that explore our theme in different ways,
including topic areas such as:

   - Planning for future directions
   - Ideas and innovations to keep from COVID times
   - Takeaways from the turbulent past year - how do the events of 2020
   shape what we do moving forward? How have our priorities shifted?
   - Disinformation and conspiracy theories, and their impact on
   information literacy

*As always, your proposal does not need to conform to the theme to be
considered for inclusion in the conference.*

Virtual sessions will be 50 minutes long, so we suggest a roughly 40-minute
presentation, with 10 minutes for questions and discussion. All sessions
will occur in the afternoons, as Monday morning will feature a keynote
speaker and Tuesday morning we will hold the MLA annual business meeting.
There will be two afternoon session periods each day, with three concurrent
sessions each, for a total of 12 sessions.

The virtual conference will use an event management platform called Whova,
which integrates with Zoom for video conferencing. If you have a
presentation idea but are unsure about presenting in this format, Whova has
built-in presenter training, so not to worry!

Review of proposals will begin immediately and will end on *Monday, March
8th*. To submit a presentation proposal, please fill out the Google form
linked below:

https://forms.gle/GTWbEjChFGA34eiW7

WHY DO A MLA CONFERENCE SESSION THIS YEAR? HERE’S WHY…

*SHARE YOUR WORK AND SUCCESSES*
A MLA Conference session is a good way to share your work and successes
with your colleagues. Why keep what you have discovered works (or doesn't)
to yourself? Share with others because there are colleagues who will be
interested in your topic. Your work will inspire others to take what you
have learned back to their own libraries and implement it. Your experience
will directly impact others in positive ways you might never imagine!

*HONE YOUR COMMUNICATION SKILLS*
The MLA Conference offers you the opportunity to hone your presentation
skills- and in this case, your virtual presentation skills as well. Sharpen
your ability to communicate verbally and to present information visually
with an audience of your peers. Presenting a session enables you to explain
and expand on a concept, issue, idea, or activity in different ways and see
which explanation is most well received.

*LEARN FROM OTHERS*
By presenting a conference session, you can expect to receive feedback from
your audience that can help you in the future. Your colleagues can provide
you with invaluable insights, discussion, and compliments on your work. An
insightful, impartial discussion of your work with a peer can often provide
ideas for improving your work in the future.

*CONTINUING EDUCATION / CERTIFICATION CREDIT*
Your institution may have professional development goals or requirements
you must fulfill for certification and evaluation purposes. You can receive
credit as allowed by your institution toward fulfilling those requirements
for time spent preparing and delivering a session.

*CAREER ADVANCEMENT*
Presenting a session at the MLA Conference is a great achievement to add to
your resume. Earn recognition from your peers as an expert and leader in
libraries and information science. Demonstrate to your supervisors that you
are serious about the profession by learning and sharing as much as you
can. As a presenter, you can elevate your library’s reputation by showing
what you and your library are doing to serve your community.

Link to submit proposal: https://forms.gle/GTWbEjChFGA34eiW7

Wynter Giddings, MLIS
Vice President, Maine Library Association
Manager of Technology & Adult Services, Curtis Memorial Library

--
Wynter Giddings, MLIS
Vice President, Maine Library Association
Manager of Technology & Training, Curtis Memorial Library