From:
Wynter Giddings <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wynter Giddings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2018 07:43:08 -0400
Good morning all,

Last Friday, Senator Jack Reed (D-RI) and Senator Susan Collins (R-ME)
introduced S. 3530, a bill to reauthorize the *Museum and Library Services
Act* (MSLA).

The bill was also cosponsored by Senator Angus King (I-ME), Murkowski
(R-AK), Gillibrand (D-NY), Whitehouse (D-RI), Kaine (D-VA), Hassan (D-NH),
Warren (D-MA), Casey (D-PA), Jones (D-AL), and Blumenthal (D-CT).

If you have a moment, please express your thanks to both Senator Collins
<https://mainelibraries.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=hqHH2KqKI9BF24CM4%2f4zEVe2iZuMfNgSSJGt96hUC5yHpXJ%2f%2fGhQNDpAyrt%2fbySTHuRNDWE89XraTSbYriPeaWEsfmHdSdTfsG9GSdHnfrE%3d>
 and Senator King
<https://mainelibraries.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=w%2bp%2fk91mJ3mtPz15ic2Eg2TJRuYELWWUCD2%2fUU5iY6q0mIvbnZtRvmAkvDVzhY13YK1cU53w%2bHb9K2KDEhi7hUYDxxUwPc%2fc0pZVQxS3x%2bo%3d>
for
their support. Senator Collins, in particular, sits on the Committee which
will consider the bill. There is a possibility that the committee could
consider the bill as early as this week.

Funds are administered by The Institute of Library and Museum Services
(IMLS) for important library programs though the Library Services and
Technology Act
<https://mainelibraries.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=luHzzBTCABjIu59CCgJZxAa4wFyKE7ZvEG6Xdk8WYzu8St%2fTOj4SEBjS%2f1hu3NMCKQlx5lUWPTOla613agE%2f04I%2buvh4KWqnJdZnOoUNMhw%3d>
 (LSTA), the only federal program that exclusively supports services and
funding for libraries. LSTA provides more than $186.3 million for libraries
through several grant programs, including Grants to States and the Native
American Library Services.

This new bill is nearly identical to the one that Senator Reed and Collins
(and others) introduced last year with one change. The difference is a
change in the formula used to distribute LSTA Grants to States. The change
would raise the minimum funding level to all states which would benefit
smaller states like Maine. The change would be triggered for future funding
increases by Congress and would not take money away from larger states. Click
for more information on LSTA and how those funds are used in Maine
<https://mainelibraries.org/EmailTracker/LinkTracker.ashx?linkAndRecipientCode=3%2bBny95yqNUb25jd0rALVVg4HlWzIW5igHl3QPtcznncMP7k0oWBIUjQc4wzXT9cWOICFxiUT3A%2fJqc%2bHVCI113VusSniTqIn%2buknsPs4mg%3d>
.

We recognize that we are in the middle of an election season and engaged in
many important policy discussions. The Maine Library Association
acknowledges that *we must always be fierce advocates for our libraries*.
Please take the time to understand the impact of the IMLS reauthorization
bill below and make sure that Senators Collins and King know we're grateful
for their support.

Thanks,

The Maine Library Association Executive Council