From:
Julia Hoisington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julia Hoisington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2022 11:11:43 -0400
Posted on behalf of our Library Director Rachel Davis:

Good morning. With the approval of our 2023 budget, we have a new part-time
position to fill beginning July 1!

Thomas Memorial Library

Access Services Assistant Job

The Thomas Memorial Library is seeking to fill a new part-time (18 hours)
Access Services Assistant position.

Are you positive, flexible, and have a passion for customer service and
reader’s advisory for adults? Are you tech savvy, friendly and approachable
to all ages? Do you keep up-to-date on the publishing world and popular
media and culture? Does the sight of bookshelves filled with clean,
orderly, and consistently labeled books make you happy? Are you organized
and able to multitask? Do you have the ability to work weekend and evening
hours?

We are looking for a person that thrives on collaboration, teamwork, and
fun, to become an integral member of our Access Services team by staffing
our main desk and assisting with materials and interlibrary loan processing.

Please see the position specifications and application instructions below,
and the full job description here.
<https://www.thomasmemoriallibrary.org/access-services-assistant-part-time/>

Position: Access Services Assistant

Classification: Library Assistant I

Hours/week: 18 hours/week

Schedule: Thursdays: 1 - 7; Fridays: 12 - 5; Saturdays: 10 - 5

Starting rate: $18.00/hour

Benefits: Pro-rated holiday, vacation, sick leave; participation in Mission
Square retirement plan

General Position Summary

The Access Services Assistant is part of a team that ensures a positive
experience for library users of all ages, accomplished by engaging in
conversation and connecting them with quality resources and services. You
will assist in creating a welcoming community destination by providing
excellent customer service and serving as the primary point of contact for
library visitors. Additionally, the Access Services Assistant helps to
process materials and manage interlibrary loans, and ensures that the
library’s collections are well-maintained and reach library users in a
timely manner.

Desired traits:

• Empathy, patience, and compassion, which translate into strong people
skills

• A willingness to try, even in circumstances of uncertainty

• Enthusiasm for contributing to a team culture; a spirit of
experimentation and fun

• Adaptability, flexibility, and ability to manage change (and sometimes
chaos!)

• Ability to tailor communication

• Commitment to learning about and connecting with the local community

Desired competencies specific to position:

• Familiarity with library ethics, services, organizational mission

• Aptitude with technology (instruction and use)

• Excellent customer service skills including a patient, friendly, and
courteous communication manner in-person, on the phone, and in written
communication

• Ability to explain and enforce library behavior policies

• Experience with ILS procedures, specifically Sierra

Major Responsibilities

Staffing our main circulation/information desk. Day-to-day responsibilities
include providing circulation, reader’s advisory, and reference services,
primarily to adults and teens; answering phones; use of and instruction
relating to technology; monitoring activities in public spaces; social
media assistance; collection maintenance processes.

Education and Experience

   -

   Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university is preferred.
   -

   Two (2) years of office clerical or customer service experience or one
   (1) year of experience working in a library.

To apply:

Please send the following via email to Rachel Davis, Library Director at

   -

   Cover letter
   -

   Resume